Change wifi channel on Deco X60

Change wifi channel on Deco X60

81 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco X60
2022-03-23 00:17:48

@Dissing 

So a hypothetical question, or two...

Suppose you had 3 Deco 60 access points in a pristine RF home mesh environment - with no background noise or interference.

And suppose users were allowed to specify the wifi frequency for 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and backhaul channel on each individual Deco 60 access point.

Would you get better performance if each individual Deco 60 AP was set to the same frequency - or each was set to a unique frequency?

Would the answer be the same if all Deco 60s had a hardwired backhaul?

Thanks,

Bud

Options
2022-03-23 03:24:19

This question is mostly based on a faulty understanding of a true mesh system.

A mesh network has to have all of the nodes on the same channel (for each band). Period.  That is how a client can seamlessly move around the whole coverage region without drops -- because all the nodes are on the same channel within a band.

If a hardwired back-haul is used through-out, there is no WiFi channel choice for it.  If, however, there is even one node without a wired back-haul, then all the nodes (at least those near the 'not-wired' node) would have to be using the same back-haul channel ... same principle as for client connections (albeit possibly/likely a separate protocol for the back-haul communications ... the back-haul does not have to follow the protocol standards for client-access channels).

In theory, it would be ideal if the wireless back-haul channel is distinctly different from the "client" channels -- but, again, all the back-haul channels have to be the same.

In practice, it doesn't matter much as long as the back-haul channel is not shared with the client connections.

So, at best, a user would only need to specify 3 channels: 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and wireless back-haul.  However, changing the channel on-the-fly would require careful coordination amongst all the nodes so that no node gets "left out" during the transition -- AND such a channel change would almost certainly be disruptive to active client communications.

The best performance would be with wired back-haul, as there would be no possible "radio" (WiFi) interference between the back-haul communication and the client communications.

Options
2022-03-23 09:57:40

@David-TP 

Well as I stated previously a few years ago my issue is intermittent interference (Previously presumed to be from my microwave oven) - so oven or whatever source of interference switches on - completely wrecking my whole TP Link mesh wifi experience). I know from my previous setup that allocating wifi channel 11 - (even though on the face of it looked more congested) - was actually more reliable. 

Well my microwave oven finally died - and hey guess what the brand new one from a very reputable brand - does exactly the same :-(

FIX THIS STUPID PROBLEM NOW. IT IS AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM THAT THE 'AUTOMATED' TP - Link channel selector isn't clever enough to predict.

The only reason I have put up with this nonsense for so long is that I thought a new microwave may solve the problem - and  am heavily into TP Link products for my whole wired and smart home network so want to be loyal to a brand.

I have many Kasa smart sockets, cameras, as well as wired gigabit routers etc. etc.

Put the microwave on and it all goes on the fritz - so we can't turn TV's on / Lights off / talk to Alexa etc.

The mesh automation doesn't have that same knowledge as a human who has lived here for many years !!!

In my humble opinion this simple omission of being able manually able to select the wifi channel (that other comparable products do have) shows a very arrogant and lazy stance from TP-Link as a company.

In all other respects the MESH system  is good but for me this reluyctance to act on customer problems makes the TP Link mesh wifi NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Options
2022-03-23 11:04:26

@Sooty1962 

I used to see some similar cases about the conflict wireless interference between Oven and Deco and may I know the model of your new Oven?

Based on the previous search, the Operating frequency of the Micro oven basically coved the whole 2400~2500MHz which is almost the same as the wireless frequency of 2.4ghz. So there would be interference no matter which chance you have changed on 2.4ghz.

And for the issue you have mentioned here "Put the microwave on and it all goes on the fritz - so we can't turn TV's on / Lights off / talk to Alexa etc", actually I don' s think it is a network issue now and It is quite more like the Micro oven also conflicts with the household Voltage Frequency.

As for the wireless channel, I am not sure whether it is good news or not that the engineers are re-evaluating this feature request now but as long as the final decision hasn't been made, there is full of uncertainty and It is not suggested to talk about future plan.

Options
2022-03-23 14:04:58

@David-TP 

Perhaps 'on the fritz' wasn't the best description.

Using the Queen's english I should have said.

When the microwave is on (and the Deco hasn't selected a high enough wifi band) the wifi drops or becomes intermittent.

This causes our TP link smart switches (A mix of HS100 and HS110 models) - as well as any other Amazon Alexa voice controllable devices to become unresponsive.

Also any  mobile phones, laptops, Raspberry Pi's or Smart TV's etc. connected by wifi drop out (because the wifi has stopped operating).

In fairness to the Deco units once the microwave stops being used everything comes back online quite quickly

Just to make things less predictable sometimes Deco may have selected band 11 so using the microwave doesn't cause a problem.

The new microwave is a John Lewis 1000W combo oven and grill which replaced a 12 year old Panasonic 1000w combo unit. Sorry I don't have either model numbers to hand.

I know this is a trivial problem  - especially when compared to some world events - but having the option to manually select the wifi band in the firmware of the Deco units would allow technophiles (like me) the opportunity to make their purchases work better. 

As others have said most other routers have the ability to manually select wifi band. 

Other than this one issue I do still like the Deco system. Except for the microwave interference issue they operate very well.

Options
2022-03-24 11:52:30
Dan, thanks for the clear and concise explanation! Now I understand. -Bud
Options
2022-07-01 19:11:41

@Dissing PLEASE Add this feature to be able to change the wifi channel(s).  Running into tons of interference where I'm at.  Larger channels (48-66) are wide open.  This would help greatly. 

Thank you.

Options
2022-08-21 10:17:22 - last edited 2022-08-21 10:18:13

@David-TP This is an unacceptable answer for such an expensive piece of hardware.

It is appalling that you treat us like children when I and others can clearly see our systems using congested channels ourselves with simple programs on our own devices such as andoid's WiFi Analyzer or the many available for windows such as inSSIDer or WiFi Analyser.

I have 3 Deco x60s installed in an old bungalow (so all on the same level) with thick walls and they do not dynamically select the best channel for them and clearly they are sticking with crowded channels. I will never be buying or recommending TP Link hardware again if this is how you treat customers.

There are YEARS of complaints of exactly the same dropout issue, going back to 2017 on this forum at least.

Disgraceful.

Options
2022-09-26 02:01:35 - last edited 2022-09-26 09:10:49

@Dissing Just to add more fuel to this fire. I have the Deco X50 and received a notification through the Deco app that "Your Deco has automatically switched from 160mhz to 80mhz due to radar interference". It showed a manual option with two radial check boxes which allowed you to switch between 80mhz and 160mhz but said I could not change back 160mhz for 60 seconds. It also gave me the option to "disable auto changing". Stupidly I disabled automatic switching but left it at 80mhz, and now my router appears to be stuck at 80mhz.

The option clearly exists in the app already, it's just blocked.

Tech support has been basically useless, essentially telling me the option doesn't exist, and I can't change it manually DESPITE me clicking the button to select 160mhz before deciding to leave it there because of the interference thinking "Oh, i'll be able to change it back later" which I can't.

Edit: What's more, the tech support asked me if I had "Network Optimisation" as an option, which I don't on the X50.

Summary: The option exists already both in firmware and on the App, otherwise it wouldn't have notified me, and then wouldn't have given me the option to select between 80mhz and 160mhz. Now i'm stuck and have been told there is NOTHING TPLink can do.

Edit2: Have phoned TP-Link Australia Tech Support who seem to be interested in doing more to help. All I want is the option to re-enable the automatic switching.

Edit3: Turns out the screw up is mine. The option to reselect 160mhz is there. However still unsure why the notification came up, or where the option to turn back on automatic switching is. Consider me suitably notified.

Options
2022-09-26 07:48:07 - last edited 2022-09-26 07:48:28

@StrixinHi, on the Deco X50, there should be an option that you could switch back to 160mhz.

Options
Related Articles