Weak WIFI Signal & Overheating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-02 13:25:53 - last edited 2020-06-03 03:46:59
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 170719 Rel.63031n

I recently ordered this router online as a replacement to my Plusnet Hub1. When it arrived I set it up following the instructions.

It connects fine, only issues are that the WIFI signal is weaker than my old Plusnet router, which surprises me condidering the 3 antennas. I have checked that power is set to 'High' and tried a few different wireless channels, still not great.

Another thing is that it gets rather hot, especially underneath so not sure whether this effects performance?

When I try an online firmware upgrade it tells me Your firmware is up to date!

Any suggestions?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Weak WIFI Signal & Overheating
2020-07-02 09:56:19

@DaZzleFM 

Hi, for the issue you have, it is normal that you felt warm on the router since the router will generate heat when it is working.

We suggest you choose a cool and well-ventilated environment for the product.

Avoid placing your modem router on top of any running electronic devices. 

Keep your modem away from direct heat (like fireplaces and space heaters) or excessive sunlight.

Use the original power adapter that came with the modem.

For the router's Wi-Fi range, environment plays a pretty big part in coverage and performance of a wireless product.

Under unknown environmental factors, we can say that range of 2.4GHz is about 15 meters and 5GHz is within 10 meters to guarantee a good networking experience.

Since you thought the Wi-Fi signal if weaker than the old router, can you please explain it more clearly for us to check?

Can you follow the instruction to check the firmware version? https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr400/v2/#Firmware

Since your firmware version 170719 is not the latest one from our official website, please check with the link again based on your version.

Please check if your version of the product is EU or AU from the white label on the router?

After you check, please follow the instruction to upgrade the firmware version to check the performance again. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1756/

Look forward to your reply.

Good day!

Options
2020-07-02 10:20:01

@Sunshine 

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Since my previous message I have proped up the router on either side to raise it slighly to allow better ventillation underneath which has helped the heat.

Regarding the WIFI signal, I have tried everything and the signal is no better than my previous Plusnet Hub1 router/modem. Condiering the 3 antennas I thought the coverage would be better.

My router is EU Firmware Version:0.2.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 170719 Rel.63031n. When I log into the router it says no update is available.

Options
2020-07-02 10:26:49
It would also be useful if you could send be a direct link to the latest version to update. Many thanks.
Options
2020-07-03 07:31:23

@DaZzleFM 

Hi, since I don't know the version of your product which may be EU or AU, I would like you to check by yourself.

If it is EU version, please try the latest one with this link. https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200702/Archer_VR400(EU)V2_200701.zip

If it is AU version, please try the latest one with this link. https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202006/20200628/Archer_VR400(AU)V2_200624.zip

Hope it will help!

Have a nice day~

Options
2020-07-03 08:31:08

@Sunshine 

Hi there,

It's EU, and I eventually installed thsi version yesterday: 0.4.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 200701 Beta.73951n

I can't say I've noticed any noteable different in performance of the product.

Options
2020-07-06 06:35:26

@DaZzleFM 

From your last reply, you think this router had a bad performance, did you meant that this router has a low Internet speed?

If so, Internet speed may be affected by many factors. Could you please follow the FAQ below step by step to isolate the problem first?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2235/

If the issue cannot be resolved by the suggestions provided, please kindly tell me which case you are referring to and what troubleshooting you have done.

Please also provide us with the test results.

Many thanks in advance. 

Options
2020-07-06 07:26:06

@Sunshine 

Hi, the speed seems to be OK and slightly better than the Plusnet Hub1, it's just the signal is not as powerful and the router is in the same place in the house as my old router.

Both 2.4 and 5 gHz are set to 'high power', the 3 antennas are up right vertical and now I've done the firmware upgrade which I had to do manually.

The Archer 400 seems to be more stable in connection and gives the speed capable from the line. It gets warms still but as it's in black casing this is to be expected, it was very hot when it was new but seems to have stabilised.

Just disapointed with the signal around the house as I thought it would have more punch than my previous router.

Options
2020-09-06 21:31:54

@DaZzleFM 

Same issue here 

I have bought Archer VR2800 and i kept in minde that it will have much more powerful signal then the ordinary DLINK 2750.

HONESTLY,  I WAS SURPRISED !

THE Dlink router (which supposed to belong to a much lower range) has a stronger signal and a better coverage (but with a lower link speed).

I'm thinking about getting back my old router!

Options
2020-09-07 07:30:56

@DaZzleFM Makes you wonder if the 3 antennas are just for show. It's about time these router were made with just a slight increase in output power. BT HUB routers seem to have best coverage and they have built in antennas, not sticking up outside.

To be fair my connection hasn't dropped out once, so all I can do it get a WIFI extender for the upstarirs to compensate for the weak signal.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4560

Replies: 9