Wpa8630p V1 Australian version. Incorrect firmware applied, flashing home light & now won't pair.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wpa8630p V1 Australian version. Incorrect firmware applied, flashing home light & now won't pair.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-06 03:43:22 - last edited 2020-06-06 03:52:00
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: AU

Hi all. 

I have a wpa8630p (AU version) that accepted the pib & nvm from an EU (PA8010p) firmware update. I was trying to update just the PA8010p part of the kit (through tpPLC) but think it may have loaded the PA8010p firmware onto the wpa8630p somehow, hence the problem. The PA8010p unit is still functional & all devices connected to it work fine.

Once updated, the wpa8630p rebooted & started flashing its home (paired connection) led & I can no longer pair it with the PA8010p or any other unit for that matter.

I'm pretty sure it was an EU firmware that got loaded. The 8630p iis recognized in TPPLC but only as an unknown device, no options other than "rename".

The web interface is still fully accessible (if plugged directly into pc ethernet port) & have loaded the firmware .bin for the AU model a few times & even though it completes the update, their is no change to the units funcionality. Home led still flashing, can't be paired with any other unit, "unknown device" in tpPLC.

Is there a way to manually change the nvm (or is it the pib?) of the unit & get it back to the Australian wpa8630p version?.

Even if it's a serial connection, I'll give it a shot.

Or does anyone know of any other way to get it back?.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wpa8630p V1 Australian version. Incorrect firmware applied, flashing home light & now won't pair.
2020-06-08 08:53:54

@Ineed_TP 

Hello, sorry to hear that the wpa8630p seemed bricked after the wrong firmware upgrade. Please try the firmware recovery to see if it helps:

http://support.tp-link.com/f/964074bc15/?dl=1

If this doesn't help either, you may need to contact the tech support to confirm if this still covers by the warranty:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
Re:Wpa8630p V1 Australian version. Incorrect firmware applied, flashing home light & now won't pair.
2020-06-08 16:25:59 - last edited 2020-06-08 16:28:37

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I tried the recovery, but no devices were found to recover.

Tried it again & this time also tried it on a trusty old windows 7 laptop that I keep only for this kind of thing... Always worked when nothing else would. Still no device to recover =(

Multiple goes at it, switching it off at the power & trying to scan at different intervals.. No joy.

Thought I'd be tricky & bricked it a little more (on purpose) in a feeble attempt to force it into recovery... Even tried an older firmware which it loaded & flashed. Didn't work & now there's no Lan light on, no web interface & is only recognized in tpplc as "unknown" device still.

I've torn it down & located the serial header, identified TX, rx & gnd.

Guess I'll have to try U-boot to pull in the firmware to recover it, but think I'll just be back to where I was when I opened this thread.

As stated before I already successfully flashed the correct .bin file through the web interface & it didn't solve the issue.

And don't know how I can flash a .pib file directly to it or if that would even return normal function. Does anyone know if the .bin file content is the same as the separate nvm & pib?. 

If it's the same just different format, then why didn't it come good already?. When it first partially bricked I reloaded the correct firmware bin & nothing changed.

Anyway, I'll have to dig out a usb->serial Interface & solder it to the header I found on the wpa8630p's lower board...... Well upper board, actually, depending how you see it.

If it doesn't come good after U-boot serial recovery via tpFTP then I'll shelve it until someone else comes up with an idea.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 576

Replies: 2