Archer C80 unable to boot in AP mode after firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 14:50:25
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.5 Build 200330 Rel.54851n(4555)

Hello,

I have just bought a new Archer C80 router to be used at home.

After setting up the router I have automatically upgraded the router to the following version:

Version old: 1.4.4 (original Firmware)

Version new: 1.4.5 Build 200330 Rel.54851n(4555)

Hardware version: V1.0

After upgrading the router I have tried to change the operation mode to AP and after the reboot process the device did not start-up anymore.

After different attempts, I have reset the router and following image appeared while accessing it via IP only:

I have manually installed the 1.4.5 firmware which worked fine in router op. mode but failed again to switch to AP operation mode.

I also tried to switch to AP operation mode with the 1.4.4 firmware and it is working fine, the issue seems to be only within the 1.4.5 version.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thank you!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C80 unable to boot in AP mode after firmware upgrade
2020-06-10 07:05:18

@oligliga12 

Hello, with the 1.4.5 version, is there any error message when you try to switch to AP mode? You can no longer log into its web UI by tplinkwifi.net?

If you connect to its wireless network, can you access the internet? How about the IP address you will get from it?

Options
2020-06-10 07:12:49 - last edited 2020-06-10 07:15:14

@Solla-topee 

Hello,

There is no error when switching to AP mode. After the switch into AP mode on 1.4.5 I can no longer access the UI neither via tplinkwifi.net nor via 192.168.0.1.

I have also tried to connect via WLAN and also via LAN but no success.

The WLAN network is created but the UI is not accessible and there is also no internet

The router keeps restarting every aprox. 30 seconds, seems like it is failing to boot in AP mode or something like this.

In order to gain access to it again I have to force reset it and load the firmware manually again.

Also loading the 1.4.5 manually does not work and causes the same issues when switching into AP mode.

Any ideas what can cause this?

Thank you!

Options
2020-06-10 09:49:25

@oligliga12 

Thanks for the details.

We will contact you via email soon for further analysis, please keep an eye on your email box.

Options
2020-06-10 10:05:16

@Solla-topee 

Thank you, will sure do.

Best regards,

Olimpiu

Options
2020-08-11 19:32:05

@oligliga12 I have exactly the same issue. But i cant reset the router, and i have not access to it.

Options
2020-08-12 08:27:18

@Lupindue Hi,

The new firmware version for the Archer C80 has been already release and can be found under:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200729/Archer%20C80(EU)_V1_200628.zip

Or simply search "Archer C80 firmware download" and it should show you the release mentioned above. (200628)

Just make sure to have the right one for your region (EU or US). The one mentioned by me is the one for EU.

I was in contact with TP-Link UK in order to get this thing fixed and they already released the new firmware with the correction for it.

You can install the new firmware by force resetting you router (press and hold reset button on the back for approx. 10-12 seconds).

After the complete restart you will be prompted with the screen mentioned by me in the original post which will allow you to manually load the new firmware into your router.

Just make sure that your router is connected via LAN (cable) to your laptop/PC during the upgrade.

@Solla-topee Can you maybe give @Lupindue other steps in order to get this corrected? In my opinion this is the only solution that should totally fix the issue.

Hope this helps,

Oli

Options
2020-08-13 21:11:12

@oligliga12 Finally i can solve the problem. I cant reach the web page, because i have the lan cable connected via wlan port, once i connected via lan, and set the ip of the pc manually in the range of 192.168.0.1, i could upload the new firmware, and i have the router working well yet.  Thanks.

Options