Terrible Wifi performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-28 10:53:14
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi... I have already posted about an issue with this router regarding not being able to enable WMM ( http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?1999-Can-t-connect-when-WMM-is-turned-on-TL-WR1403ND&region=china).. but I'd also like to know why the performance of the WiFi is so terrible.

I have brought my laptop home from work to transfer some files from my other computer... The desktop computer is connected to the router via the Gigabit switch... The best transfer rate I could get was about 2.5MB/s so that's roughly 20mbps. I was able to get better performance out of my old b/g device...

The laptop at the moment when testing the transfer rate is about 0.5m from the router.. so can't put it down to interference. I also tried it at a distance of about 6m. I have also transferred files via the wired network between the same two devices, and I got close to gigabit speeds... so that eliminates the question of if the computers are at fault for the transfer...

The settings of my Wifi on the router are as follows:

Channel: 6
Mode: 11bgn Mixed
Channel Width: Auto (set to auto on laptop as well)
Max Tx Rate: 300Mbps

Advanced Settings:

Transmit Power: High
Beacon Interval: 100
RTS Threshold: 2346
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
DTIM Interval: 1
Enable WMM: Off (This is because of my other post)
Enable Short GI: On
Enable AP Isolation: Off

If this is the best I can get out of a brand new device, that is supposed to be able to transfer at 300 Mbps, then I'll be taking it back and exchanging it for another brand.

Can anyone give me any advice on anything I am doing wrong?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Terrible Wifi performance
2013-01-28 15:27:40
Have a test of the speed when the WMM is on and see whether it will make any difference or not. As to the problem in connecting the ipad, can you tell whatis the version of IOS?
Options
2013-01-28 15:39:16
what's more, use inSSIDer to see which channel is free to use and then choose that one as yours.
Options
2013-01-28 17:27:51
Have not yet tried with WMM turned on with the laptop. Will try soon...

As to the version of iOS, it;s 6.01. My Galaxy Nexus is 4.0.4 (stupid Vodafone refuse to update, and I've not gotten around to putting the stock android on there). Neither can connect to it when WMM is on...
Options
2013-01-28 17:28:37
Will try that also... I did think of testing a number of channels after I posted...
Options
2013-01-28 17:54:14
Ok. so inSSIDer is showing only three networks within range...The other two have much weaker in signal, and neither of them conflict with my channel range...

The signal strength is hovers betwwen -25 and -20 dB
Options
2013-01-28 17:59:21
Have just turned WMM back on and tried it.. same result though... not working with this laptop either... Says it's connected but can't access internet, nor can I ping any other computers or the router itself... says the Destination host unreachable, or it times out...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 868

Replies: 6

Related Articles