Deco M5 - wifi very slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 - wifi very slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - wifi very slow
2020-09-17 17:24:23

@TP-Link_Deco 

It's purely the wifi..

But for your requested details:

It's a Deco m5 3 pack. All hard wired through a 10 port hub connected to isp router with main M6 as DSN

isp is Netherlands Ziggo.  250mb subscription

All hard wired speeds are fine and it seems to affect only wifi speeds for the initial request. The throughput itself is fine.

For example: when going through a photos album online it takes ages to load the page and pictures, but the amount on a page doesn't really seem to matter. But streaming video is no problem.

Also, it seems some devices are more effected then others. All my samsung devices are really suffering from this.. but my laptop on wifi runs fine all day without any indication of performance issues.

Resetting the decos will return wifi performance for a couple of hours/days max and then it starts again.. so def not months without problems!!!

Options
2020-09-18 06:53:36

@MCage 

Hello, thanks for getting back, please verify some basic information and we can try to fix it:

1. Is the main Deco M5 working as a Router or an Access Point? What is the detailed network topology, are they connected as below? 

ISP router===10 port hub===main Deco M5

\===2nd Deco M5

\===3rd Deco M5
2. Try to connect your Samsung devices to the main Deco M5 wireless and test the connection again, will that be stable?
3. Please confirm how are the three Deco nodes connected to each other, on the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.

4. Try to move the 2nd and 3rd Deco M5 closer to the main Deco and use shorter cat5e or cat6 cables, ensure there are no/fewer obstacles between them. If it doesn’t make sense, reboot all the Deco units for a try.

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-19 17:37:37

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. Correct. And is using router mode

2. All satellite modes report ethernet connection to main node

3. Uhh.. 2nd and 3th are located on ground floor (where main node) is and second floor. I'm 90;percent of time on ground floor so want it covered as good as possible. So they are in close range, the only reason I have the extra node on ground floor is better garden coverage. So can't get them much closer and even at ground level sitting 2 meters from main node wifi speed is terrible. Also, even if I could move them closer and this is the fix it won't be a fix as it totally defeats the whole mesh systems purpose and purchase validity.

Options
2020-09-19 17:40:34
Nb.. it would also not explain why over time performance degrades rather quickly. Either a setup works or doesn't.. anything changing over time smells like a mem leak, code loop, or anything else causing system resources to diminish
Options
2020-09-21 07:10:13

@MCage 

Hi, we understand that moving them closer will not be a solution for the issue, we just want to verify if the issue was caused by some interference or barriers, but there is no need to move them closer if they are already on the same floor and close to each other, thanks.

Just to confirm, how often do you encounter this speed drop issue? When there is an issue to load the photo forums, can you do a simple speedtest via speedtest.net, what is the speed on your computer connected to the Deco network?

BTW, do you mean you need to reset all the three Deco nodes to facotry defaults then reconfigure them from scratch? Or you mean just restart them by powering them off then powering back on?

MCage wrote

Nb.. it would also not explain why over time performance degrades rather quickly. Either a setup works or doesn't.. anything changing over time smells like a mem leak, code loop, or anything else causing system resources to diminish

Options
2020-09-24 08:50:28

@TP-Link_Deco 

No just restarting works.

But I notice on my samsung that I often get a wifi connected but no internet as well. If that happens I just toggle off wifi on my samsung and straight back on and the internet connection is back (though still dead slow until the decos restart)

Options
2020-09-24 08:59:25

@MCage @TP-Link_Deco restarting doesn't seem to work for me, I have to do a full reset.

My main deco is cable to my ISP modem.  The other two decos are connected by wifi the the main deco.  Two are on the ground floor, one is on the first floor.

Options
2020-09-24 10:57:43

@MCage 

Hello, we would like to follow up your case via email, please check your email box and respond if you are willing to do further analysis.

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-24 11:03:24

@rich0056 

Hello, sorry about that.

As per your description, it seems that the internet stops working but not speed is slow, right? Please help verify more details and we will try to figure it out ASAP:

1. When the internet stops working on the Deco, how about the LEDs on the Deco M5 nodes, are they flashing red or solid green?

2. At that time, with a computer connected to the main Deco directly, can you access the internet? Try to simplify the network diagram, in other words, connect the main Deco to the modem only and then connect your computer to the main Deco to verify whether it works well.

3. If still the same, please connect the computer to the modem, bypass the main Deco to test whether the network works. 

Below are some suggestions you can give it a go.
1. Relocate the Deco nodes.
2. Swap the locations of the Deco, setup one satellite Deco to the main Deco: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-10-02 11:23:36

@TP-Link_Deco It's really sad.. looking at my wifi speed indicator it goes from 400+mbs to a staggering 58Mbs. 

Just sitting at the same spot. When switching off wifi on my phone and back on or restarting the M5 it goes back to 433Mbs to just drop back to a crawl at 72 or lower within minutes.

it's just utter crap this way and used to be fine

Options
Related Articles