Deco M9 Plus v1 updated firmware versus neglecting the v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus v1 updated firmware versus neglecting the v2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus v1 updated firmware versus neglecting the v2
2020-06-26 13:46:37 - last edited 2020-06-26 13:49:29

@MapleLeaf 

It's still on the Dutch (and likely other European sites). The name of the ZIP-file only has EU in it now ,

BUT the .bin file has/had US_JP_EU, so seemed for ' the whole world'.

Build 20200324 Rel. 53529_US_JP_EU_up.bin

Happy M9 V2.0 user
Options
2020-06-26 18:32:23
No problem. Hardware differences can be found in this thread https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/171056?page=1 Which simply states that they use their own firmware and hardware is different but no one knows why (pretty suspicious, but it works) For some reason it seems like they tried to make a fix with the hardware and ended up using something much more difficult to work with in V2 so now this latest update that just got pushed will be the last one for V2. You're essentially getting a product with potentially no more updates down the line with the M9+ as their goal was to make the two versions (V1 and V2) identical in terms of software while using different harfware. Definitely is not worth it imo with this kind of support when something seems off. For a lil more money you can get an x series that will be future proofed. Based on what you said about your house. The M9+ has a 1 x 2.4 band and 2 x 5 ghz, max theoretical for 5 ghz is 867Mbps (your device can only use the single band available) which means that even though you have Gbit, you're only gonna see ~500Mbps (realistically) with a 5Ghz band. Sooo you can get a P9, M4, M5 etc.. beause there won't be any difference in performance when realistic speeds are well within their capacity. Update: New version is out so check it out first. How I would do this: keep the two old M9+ in a location near the modem where you need the greatest speed, e.g. living room and another adjacent area. Then get an X series(preferably due to futureproofing) or M5 3 pack and spread those around the house. The performance degredation will be the same as if you had an M9+ due to the range of a 5Ghz band. This will ensure better coverage and will perferably get you away from the M9+ troubles
Options
2020-06-26 18:34:21
Yeah I don't understand what the problem is, but it seems like there is an issue that TP-Link doesn't want to release. Especially for the NA area. However an update is an update and we should gladly take it.
Options
2020-06-30 13:42:22

@MapleLeaf 

Yes as mentioned there are around 10 threads about this same topic why v2 is neglected from tp link.

Some months ago they went totally silent and ignored all frustration about when and why this was happening

But about 3 weeks they actually answered in on of the newer threads (that Is now removed for some reason that it was scheduled last week)

And it actually was released. For a while and just on some markets before it was removed again. And while asking what happened they are now totally silent again

That is what frustrates me. The total lack of communication about why (and when) this is an issue with v2.

Either they have severe issues with v2 that they don't want to communicate = bad

Or they simply don't even try to fix it due to unknown issues (the persons deciding what to don't even understand that they have a dated product in the market)= equally bad

Options
2020-06-30 13:48:58
Not so - the dedicated backhaul will mean the backhaul is not sharing bandwidth with other wifi traffic -eg between PC's and Deco / file servers etc.
Options
2020-06-30 14:06:56 - last edited 2020-06-30 14:09:24

@e3henri 

Of course one can always complain and no, never fast enough (even persons returning their V2), and ...

but on the 'central site':

https://www.tp-link.com/nl/support/download/deco-m9-plus/#Firmware

it is still there, and as stated, the .bin file has JP, US an EU in it, so pretty global I would say.

Nobody will force you to update, as nobody will prevent you from 'nagging', but I do hear more and more positive sounds (also in the other threads you correctly referred to) about this new Firmware version.

And no, not working at or for TP-Link, no shares and not waiting for flowers to be dropped at my door,

just happy that the update is (OK, finally :-) )there, works good (as good as the V1 now), even something of a web IU; so come on, count your blessings.

Happy M9 V2.0 user
Options
2020-06-30 14:19:07 - last edited 2020-06-30 14:20:13

@Willem_3 

What's more, if there is something that IS unfair and one could be nagging about, check out this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/au/promotion/deco-t3u/

Why only in Australia ?

Maybe because on that website the Firmware update is not (easy) to find, and well, Australia is not US, EU or JP, so maybe 'down under' this update is really not out yet ....or not allowed to be used/installed due to legal restrictions).

Enjoy the good things in life, and (try to) look at the bright side.

Happy M9 V2.0 user
Options
2020-06-30 14:54:58

@Willem_3 

I pulled the trigger and manually updated the v2 I have. It's working well and no issues at all. You do not need the PC to be connected to the main Deco pod in order to update. My PC was connected to one of the v1 deco pods and the utility recognized the remaining v2 pods and updated the v2 ones only.

Access to all Deco network is granted via web browser through http://tplinkdeco.net/

My only concern is that I don't want to get into the issues that led TP-Link to pull the firmware from US and other markets.

Options
2020-06-30 19:17:53

@Raziel78 

Yeah well, that's a little bit vague; might have to do with specific WFi channels they use (and which you cannot select/limit yourself), but could also be 'as simple' as not (yet) having received approval from whatever official bodies/organisations in those countries ...

Of course no one would do or 'like' to do something illegal or cause any unwanted issues or harm for sure, but as long as it is unclear what the issue is (or has any one more details on that ?) and it was on 'all' websites, I don't think the end-user is to be blamed.

For now, let's wait and see if there will be either slightly more info/explanation or hope it will 'resurface' on the other websites.

Happy M9 V2.0 user
Options
2020-06-30 20:11:13

@Willem_3 

I agree with you,

but in rgards to what you said 

Yeah well, that's a little bit vague; might have to do with specific WFi channels they use (and which you cannot select/limit yourself), but could also be 'as simple' as not (yet) having received from whatever official bodies/organisations in those countries ...

That would be true if TP-Link was born yesterday and knows no better than to throw a firmware without going through the proper channels. 

I'm still happy with the manula update, and we will wait and see if they put it back in the US website.

Options