Deco M9 select source signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
62 Reply
Re:Deco M9 select source signal
2022-01-22 14:06:36

Hi,

I have a 4x Deco M9 setup. The layout looks like a string. The Deco on one end keeps trying to get a (weak) signal from a distant Deco (not main), instead of choosing a source just 10m away. When I unplug the distant Deco, the other Deco chooses the strongest signal. After a restart, it again moves to the weak signal. I run on the latest firmware I could find (1.5.6). I tried to remove all Deco's except for main and adding them again (hoping to reset the preferred Deco to connect to) without any luck. 

I recently bought an extra Deco M9 to bridge a gap in my WiFi coverage. If it is impossible for the system to find the strongest signal and work with it, this purchase was useless. I read on the box that it comes with a 3yr warranty. If I don't get a solution I might return all of them.

Please add the function of choosing the strongest signal manually that so many people request. Apart from this Issue the system works great, don't make me change supplier for something this simple. 

Options
2022-02-13 22:33:28

@richgj 

Hi, I need to reesolve this issue.

I have a 4800 Sq. Ft. Atrium style house in shape. The Wifi source comes into my study which is at a corner of the house. Let's say that is named 'Study'(1). I get about 210 Mbs in study.

Then the second node (2) was placed about 30 feet away. I named it 'entertainment room' which runs around the same speed.

The 3rd node was placed on top of our fireplace mental which is about 10 feet away from (2). Instead of sourcing from (2) which has strong Wifi signal, the node source from #1. So I am only getting half of the Wifi speed. But the strange things was when I plug in a Cat 5 cable, I got about 190 Mbs, but only got 70 Mbs on the wifi.

I placed the fourth node upstair in the kitchen. Again, the closest node to pick up thee signal should be #3. But again, that node is source from #1. Any solution for my problem? Thanks a lot.

Options
2022-02-15 02:39:40
@TP-Link_Deco I can't believe that your reply was so casual. @richgj was so frustrated with Deco M9 that he decided to go with Amazon Eero. You have lost that customer forever. The problem was identified so long ago. Do you have a fix for the problem now? I am having the same issue that my home network speed varies significantly at different locations. Please let me know if there is a firmware upgrade for this problem. I spent a lot of money for Deco M9. I want to make it work. Thanks.
Options
2022-02-15 11:33:01

After my post I also wrote the an email to customer support with the same text. The reply was that the manual selection for the source signal will become available at some point with a FW update. The user that started this topic got a similar answer in June 2021.

As a work around, support suggested to power on the Deco's in the 'right' order. I did that before. After a short while the Deco will revert to the Node with a weak signal. I even tried to do a new setup in a different order hoping it would make a change. No luck. The software has a reason to revert to the other node a a signal source and it will do this every time. 

In my reply to the support mail I asked for a solution within short term. If you ask me, there seem to be a reason to not have this function available. I am not going to wait another half a year. Without a fix I will return the system and choose another supplier as this system doesn't outperform my previous setup with a router and a few AP's.

Options
2022-02-15 13:28:29
Support answered quickly to my second email. No indication if and when a FW with resolution for this issue will be available, so no fix anytime soon. I will try to get a refund as the system does not work as advertised. There must be a competitor that does a better job.
Options
2022-02-15 18:53:40

@tp-link_deco

I am so diappointed with TP-LINK lack of response to a design flaw of the Deco system. I am going to get rid of mine to stop the aggrevation. I think this community should also team together to file a class action suit agaist TP-LINK. 

Matthew

Options
2022-02-16 01:12:21
I called the retailer today to process the return. When asked the reason why I was returning the 3-unit Deco M9 Plus, I told them that the product did not work as advertised. The agent told me that they will put that reason on their site. I hope TP-LINK will finally get the message and improve their product soon.
Options
2022-02-16 01:36:58

@MattYu 

Hi, Matt,

About the signal source selection issue, it has been stated here clearly-Manual Signal Source Selection on Deco and this feature is expected to be added along with the firmware upgrade-When will 1.6.0 be released for the Deco M9 Plus.

Distance is not the only decisive factor when it comes to the source selection and based on your specific case when the 3rd node is connected to the main unit, the Ethernet speed(190m/s) is almost as well as the 2nd “entertainment room” node(210m/s).  So far you haven’t mentioned the performance of the fourth node.

And the truth is since there is no ETA provided for the expected firmware, we wish users could help us get the detailed network layout and email to us so that the engineers would check whether another signal source would be good for the network performance, if yes, they can help us change the signal source.

In the meantime, we are also trying to apply for a beta on trial in the gap of official firmware for different models.

So if you would spend a little more time, the engineers would love to help you re-choose the signal source.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards.

Options
2022-02-16 11:17:51

@TP-Link 

I have been told this firmware update is coming for over a year now. I was also provide a beta firmware to test that didn't work and changed nothing. It seems like tp-link thinks that telling people to wait it's coming for long enough they will not complain. It seems increasingly clear to me that there is no priority to actually fix this. I will never buy a tp-link device ever again. It's one thing to say it's coming and it's another one to say we will never do it. By saying it's coming soon you're deceiving people who could have returned the product in time instead we're all left holding the bag. This is really terrible especially for such an expensive product.

Options
2022-02-17 07:33:45

@M9user01 

Hi, even though I cannot provide the ETA of this firmware, I can assure you that this feature is on the top priority of the feature request.

Without a solid promise from the engineers, I think we wouldn’t go around and say some features are coming soon.

Not providing an exact ETA of the promising firmware, would give you free choice to decide whether to stay or go for a different brand.

If you missed the return period because of this, as long as you have the devices, you are entitled to ask for a solution for the current issue, whether manually changing the signal source for you or changing a different model.

And If the beta firmware is not helping, you could always come back to us and ask for further assistance.

Thank you very much for your attention so far.

Options
Related Articles