Deco S4 AP mode intermittent WiFi disconnect after firmware upgrade to 1.4.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-27 09:04:37
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20200628 Rel 52605

Hi,

Finally after the firmware upgrade to 1.4.0 there is isolated guest WIFI in AP mode.
However, Deco S4 WiFi intermittently and randomly drops after the latest firmware upgrade.
Not all devices drop simultaneously. 1 or 2 out of 30 devices will drop, unable to reconnect for a period of time (10-15mins).
Am using it in AP mode, wifi Guest WIFI isolation. Devices are connected to the main WiFi (not guest WiFi).

Before the upgrade this never happened.
Have resorted to connecting my laptop via cable to one of the Deco S4 devices for stable network.
The S4 module is literally next to my laptop and mobile, and yet the wireless card on my laptop / mobile are unable to connect to the Deco WIFI intermittently.

Thank you.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Deco S4 AP mode intermittent WiFi disconnect after firmware upgrade to 1.4.0
2020-07-28 09:13:18

@nigelskw 

Hi, please help verify the below info and we will try to fix it together:

1. What is the current network topology? How many Deco units do you have in total and how are they connected?

2. How often do some devices lose the wireless connection? Are there some specific devices that lose the wireless connection or all wireless devices randomly have this disconnect issue? When they lose the wireless connection, do they still connected to the wireless network of the Deco or got disconnected? If they are still connected but no internet, please check whether they can still get correct IP address from the network.

3. How do you make them back to work? Do you need to reboot the Deco or it will work automatically after 10-15 minutes?

Good day. 

Options
2020-07-28 09:32:36

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, I currently have 3 Deco units working in AP mode.

Internet - Main router - Network switch - Deco
                                                              - Deco

- Deco

All Deco units are connnected via ethernet backhaul.

The disconnection is sporadic and inconsistent. Some days it is good, on other days this happens 2-3 times a day. All wireless devices (mobile phone, tablet, laptop) will lose connection temporarily (but not concurrently, so 1 or 2 will disconnect while the others are still working).
The disconnection is to the WiFi itself. The SSID will be visible but unable to connect to it automatically or manually.

After about 15 mins the devices will auto reconnect to the WiFi.

Direct ethernet connection to any of the Deco unit has no connectivity problem, so the issue is the WiFi itself.

I have used the Deco in both Router mode and Access Point mode configurations previously without issues. But after the latest firmware update this problem happens.
I have not tried Router mode after the firmware update as it is too cumbersome to reconfigure everything again on different subnets.

Thank you.

Options
2020-08-05 11:20:32

@nigelskw 

Hi, sorry to respond late.

We will contact you via email to investigate it, please check your email box and respond, thanks.

Options
2021-08-31 08:12:00

I am having this issue too with my Deco S4 setup with three units in AP mode. I have 1.4.3 firmware.

Approximatly once every two days, a red light comes up and it says the device cannot connect to the internet. However, the modem still reports being connected fine. The modem has one gigabit ethernect connection directly into the main S4.

Options
2021-09-17 18:01:29

@nigelskw I am having exactly the same issue.  I just upgraded the firmware this morning to 1.5.0 and have had the issue ever since.  I've noticed when this happens that if I try to connect my laptop via an ethernet port on the device I'm not getting a DHCP assignment with gateway.  When I unplug my cable modem from the main unit, reboot the cable modem and plug it back in everything starts working again.  I repeat - been running this system almost a year and have never had this issue until upgrading to 1.5.0.

Options
2021-09-18 00:46:54 - last edited 2021-09-18 00:47:56

@m_gray Till date this problem has not resolved and I'm still having the same issue despite all the suggestions given by TP Link. Have given up and continued using it as it is, most of the time it works fine. I can do with 15mins without connectivity. Doubt it will be resolved as the issue is sporadic and they are unable to locate the bug causing it.
For DHCP issues you may try assigning a static IP to each of your connected devices, if your client list is not too large. It helps for me some times.

Options
2021-09-18 00:50:17

@Simonnomis  The DECO app is not very responsive, I also find that it shows devices as connected although they are already offline, and after refreshing it is the same. Takes a while for the app to sync with the network, so I've found. But it sounds like an IP conflict issue as well, maybe you can try to assign a static IP to each of your clients instead of dynamic IP, if you do not have many devices connected to the network. TP Link has provided me a few suggestions but none have worked, so I am still living with intermittent disconnectivity a year later.

Options
2021-09-18 03:25:47

@m_gray 

Hi, Did you Deco S4 work on the access point mode or wireless router mode? I guess it is on router mode?

May I know who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of your ISP cable modem?

When the issue started, the main Deco S4 would be blinking red, right?

Since you mentioned you had to reboot the cable modem, would restarting the main Deco also help fix the issue?

I noticed that some of your Deco S4 are still on 1.4.3 and did this issue only happen to the 1.5.0 kit?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-09-18 03:45:47

@nigelskw

Hi, I see now you have updated to 1.4.3, and would there be any improvement comparing with 1.4.0?

May I know how many devices do you have and what are they?

Have you ever tried to separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz, such as leaving the main network with 5ghz only and the guest network in 2.4ghz only for smart IoT devices?

Options
2021-11-16 22:29:20

@nigelskw I can definitely confirm this issue is 100% on Deco S4.

I'm having daily random disconnections which is impacting my business badly since we are an online store.

I have 1.5.0 on my deco.

- I have 2 decos installed

- Spectrum is my provider.

We are working as normal then sudenlly the connection is gone for a few minutes. Sometimes if i dont restart the Spectrum moden, the wifi never comes back.

This is so frequent that i tested with another router (Google) and the connection was stable for 2 weeks without a single drop.

We installed back the S4 and we are seeing daily random disconnectons again.

Quite unforuante that the Amazon period to return it already expired.

Hopefully this issue can be solved ASAP.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2147

Replies: 12