Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-29 08:42:07 - last edited 2021-01-29 06:11:25
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build20200709 Rel. 49821

I am using the Deco X20 3-pack, 1 is connected to the modem and the other 2 are connected via ethernet backhaul through a tp-link switch connected to the main unit

The Deco X20 frequently loses internet connection on all of my devices intermittently (around 3 or 4 times a day). The wifi is still connected (the SSID can still be seen and even shows 3 full bars) however it will not connect to the internet. Often the only way to fix this is to switch the wifi of the device off and on. The lights on all deco units continue to show a green light when this occurs.

I have tried testing the internet connection from my modem with a computer connected via ethernet and the connection is stable. I have only been using the deco for 2 weeks and did not face this problem with my previous orbi router.

I have also tried switching the main deco unit with the other 2 and the problem still persists.

My deco settings

Main network: 5ghz only (2.4ghz off)

Guest network: On (both 5gh and 2.4ghz on)

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this especially some of the tp-link people on this forum

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection-Solution
2021-01-27 08:13:16 - last edited 2021-04-30 01:42:26

@Paul_Bunyanz 

Hi, thank you for your time and patience.

If possible, please refer to the following firmware to have a look:

For Deco X20 V1:

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202103/20210315/Deco_X20_V1_1.5.0_20210303_Debug.zip

For Deco X20 V1.2:

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202103/20210315/Deco_X20_V1.2_1.5.1_20210303_Debug.zip

how to update the firmware:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201207/Documentation for upgrading Deco system.pdf

After testing the firmware above, if the instability issue got no improvement, please feel free to send us an email subject [forum ID 219606] Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection or leave me a private message with the following information:

1. Who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of the cable modem?
  2. Could you please try to log into the web UI and save the system log on the Deco X20;(please do not reboot the Deco when you save the log, Thank you)
  3. Could you please help me get a picture of your network structure for the Deco units?
  4. How often did the internet drop and what need you to do to recover the connection?

At the same time, please also test if the following suggestions made any difference:

1. Please turn off the fast roaming, beamforming on the Deco APP;
  2. Please disable the Mesh technology for the mobile devices on the APP as well;
  3. If possible, temporarily disable the 2.4ghz on the main network to check whether it is the Wi-Fi interference that caused the unstable issue;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
39 Reply
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection
2020-07-30 03:18:08

@gumgum 

Hello, sorry about that.

Please help confirm below details and we will help fix it ASAP:

1. What are the Deco LEDs status, are all still showing solid green? How about the display on the Deco app, are all online or disconnected?

2. Who is your ISP and what is the model number of the modem? What is the model number of the TP-Link switch?

3. Are the devices got disconnected from the internet when they are moving around or staying in the same location?

4. Is it possible to test the performance by removing the switch first? Connect the 3 Decos in this way:

the main Deco---2nd Deco---3rd Deco

If this is not possible, can we remove the switch and the other two Decos, only leave the main Deco and monitor the internet connection for a while?

Thanks.

Options
2021-01-26 15:48:49

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi there - just stumbled upon this thread as I'm having similar issues after switching over to the TP-Link Deco X20.  Was this ever resolved?

Anywhere you could point me to get help with the similar issue I'm having?

Some additional details:

ISP: Optimum

Modem: Arris Surboard 8200

Wifi: Deco X20 3-pack

Cheers!

Options
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection-Solution
2021-01-27 08:13:16 - last edited 2021-04-30 01:42:26

@Paul_Bunyanz 

Hi, thank you for your time and patience.

If possible, please refer to the following firmware to have a look:

For Deco X20 V1:

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202103/20210315/Deco_X20_V1_1.5.0_20210303_Debug.zip

For Deco X20 V1.2:

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202103/20210315/Deco_X20_V1.2_1.5.1_20210303_Debug.zip

how to update the firmware:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201207/Documentation for upgrading Deco system.pdf

After testing the firmware above, if the instability issue got no improvement, please feel free to send us an email subject [forum ID 219606] Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection or leave me a private message with the following information:

1. Who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of the cable modem?
  2. Could you please try to log into the web UI and save the system log on the Deco X20;(please do not reboot the Deco when you save the log, Thank you)
  3. Could you please help me get a picture of your network structure for the Deco units?
  4. How often did the internet drop and what need you to do to recover the connection?

At the same time, please also test if the following suggestions made any difference:

1. Please turn off the fast roaming, beamforming on the Deco APP;
  2. Please disable the Mesh technology for the mobile devices on the APP as well;
  3. If possible, temporarily disable the 2.4ghz on the main network to check whether it is the Wi-Fi interference that caused the unstable issue;

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-27 13:57:29

@TP-Link 

Thank you for the hasty response! How does this differ from the updates that occur via the app?

Options
2021-01-29 01:32:35

@TP-Link 

Tried upgrading but received the error message: "Upgrade failed. Please select the latest version of firmware to upgrade."

Options
2021-02-07 13:38:10

@TP-Link 

I'm receiving the same issue as others have mentioned above. We have devices that connected to the network, but that connection is not connected to the internet. So far, in our experience, this appears to be affecting Windows machines, (My wife's work Dell and our personal Lenovo machines). All Windows updates have been completed and we are still encountering the issue.

To follow your proposed solution, I've downloaded the .zip, extracted the file, logged into the router settings/Firmware Upgrade, clicked Browse, and selected the .bin file. When I select Upgrade, I'm receiving the same error as @Paul_Bunyanz, where a prompt appears stating "Upgrade failed. Please select the latest version of firmware to upgrade." 

Attached is a screenshot from the failed Firmware update. Is there another way to get this package installed? This is causing multiple disconnections and meeting drops throughout the day for my wife and is not sustainable for our WFH environment. Any assistance will be very much appreciated.  

Options
2021-02-09 07:45:51

@TP-Link I am having the same issue.

X20 V1.2 3Pack.

Multiple devices losing internet connection at different times but still connected to deco wifi.

I can run speedtest app and have very poor result, then run deco app speedtest and sometimes this fixes problem.

Recently I have had to disable 2.4gHz network and then device connects to 5gHz which fixes it for a time but I need both 5 and 2.4 networks.

Same problem as multiple users. Very frustrating. I have firmware 1.0.5 Build 20201013 Rel. 64606

Options
2021-02-21 22:01:42

Same problem. It's either 350mbps or 0.3 mbps. Even the hardwired devices are not able to get to the internet. I just set the network up yesterday. All firmware is updated. All deco lights are green. WTF. 

Options
2021-02-22 08:22:48 - last edited 2021-04-30 01:42:42

@bidwell32 

Hi, all,

After testing the firmware above, if the instability issue got no improvement, please feel free to send us an email(support@tp-link.com ) subject [forum ID 219606] Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

with the following information:

And please also test if the following suggestions made any difference:

1. Please turn off the fast roaming, beamforming on the Deco APP;

Options
2021-02-22 08:26:52

@bidwell32 

Hi, we would like to forward your case to the senior engineer and please have a check of your email box.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 19339

Replies: 38

Related Articles