Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection
2021-09-08 06:20:19

@andrea78 

Hi, would any Deco turn red when the connection dropped?

When the internet dropped out on the mobile devices, are they still connected to the Wi-Fi, but no internet, or they have disconnected from the Wi-Fi already?

Did you have any wired computer to check whether the Ethernet connection dropped as well?

Since 2.4ghz is easily affected by the wireless interference, please try to turn off the 2.4ghz and leave the 5ghz only and check the network instability again.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-09-26 08:33:11 - last edited 2021-09-26 08:35:22

I have the same issue recently with my X20. I bought the 3 X20 bundle in June last year, and have been using it since then. 

About 1 week ago, two of the X20 start to give problem - it just turned "RED" out of no where and then my video calls with my boss just dropped with no network. I reboot them, and then they started working fine (With the GREEN light) and then after a while, it will just drop RED. Rebooting again helps, but I need to do this at least 2 - 3 times a day.

I tried to connect back to the Router that my service provider gives, and it is working fine (just that the speed is slow since it was a 4-year old Aztech model)

I did not turn on Fast Roaming or BeamForming

My service provider is SingTel.

My two X20 is Version1 (US) with firmware 1.5.0 Build 20210121 Rel. 54794.

This is affecting me especially when I need to Work-From-Home due to the pandemic. Any TP-Link personnel please tell me what to do? Obviously your tech support on the webpage isn't very helpful! 

Options
2021-10-08 23:12:57

Model: Deco X20

Hardware Version: V1.26 (it says US/1.26 on the bottom)

Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50738

I have similar issues where my Deco router crashes (sometimes multiple times in a row) and the lights underneath the Deco is red. All my devices are still connected to the router, but the router isn't giving an internet connection. I have it connected to my ISP's router and its operation mode is Router. The connection on my ISP router is very stable. I was convinced that the Deco crashes because of my Dell XPS 9360 laptop (everytime I turn on the computer, the router crashes). However, the Deco router crashed several times without my laptop on. I have reboot it several times, I tried resetting it, I changed the Decos around (I have two of them), I have turned off beamforming and guest networks, but left 2.4GHz band on as my camera system needs the 2.4GHz.

Is there anything else I should try? I bought these routers 3 months ago and the problem recently started two weeks ago. 

Options
2021-10-09 02:57:13

@KevinJ 

Hi, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers, and could you please help me check the following information:

1. May I know who Is your internet service provider? And what is the model number of the ISP modem?

2. when the internet is disconnected, will rebooting the main Deco temporarily fix the issue?

Thank you.

Options
2021-10-09 06:51:50
I am having the same issue since 2 days ago, and initially I thought the issue with ISP or issue with their modem. Based on their testing result, seems things are normal from their end, and they even replaced with a new modem as well, but still the issue persist. Now also almost every 2 minutes, there is internet connection lost, and the deco LED turned red, and the LAN LED on modem is off (which indicates the router not connected to the modem). But the router connection resume automatically within 10 second, and this is very frustrating and disturbing, especially when having video conference call. May I ask what can be the next steps? With number of similar reported cases on the same model, I am not sure if the issue is actual the design. I have also tried to down the latest firmware online seems no different. We have tried to call the tech support but simply no one answer. Please help.
Options
2021-10-11 17:03:45

@TP-Link 

1. My ISP is Optimum (or Altice). The model number of the modem is: UBC1326. Its a router and modem combination. 

2. Yes, rebooting the main Deco does help. Sometimes it solves the issue for a few hours; most of the time, it fixes the issue for a few days.

Options
2021-10-12 03:23:57

@KevinJ 

Hi, thank you for the update.

Could you please try to install the beta firmware(For Deco X20 V1.2) on this link to see whether it helped or not:

[Solution] Main Deco frequently disconnects from the Internet under Spectrum service

Options
2021-10-16 07:20:42 - last edited 2021-11-04 07:26:52

@TP-Link 

I'm having the same issues with my X20 system, installed on Tuesday. My ISP is Virgin Media (Hub 4 in modem mode) and I have 2 Deco units.

All devices on the network (Ethernet and WiFi) lose internet connection a few times a day, but the WiFi network stays up. The Deco app says that neither unit has an internet connection. However, logging directly on to my modem shows me there is a stable internet connection. I have not checked what the deco LED shows but will do next time The LED on the deco is red while the internet is out.

Sometimes the issue resolves itself after a few minutes, other times I need to unplug the main Deco unit and plug it in again to get internet back. For example, I woke up at 8 this morning to find that I'd had no internet since 3AM.

Before I install an untested beta version of the firmware, can you confirm I'll be able to roll back the the released version if I encounter any more issues? I have seen some others have had problems installing older firmware versions.

EDIT: A few weeks later and no solution from TP-Link. I have returned the Deco system and bought a Netgear Orbi instead (the budget 2-band model, around the same price as the Deco) and it works great with my Virgin Hub in modem mode. 

Options
2021-10-29 01:47:16

@TP-Link 

I installed the beta firmware for a few weeks now. The internet on my Deco X20 still goes down and the led turns red, but not as often (internet drops maybe once or twice a week and a reboot fixes it). I also noticed an interesting scenario. When the internet crashes, any phone or computer loses internet connection. But, devices like my firestick and ring camera system still works. It is still connected to the internet even when the Deco has no internet. If I check my Ring app when the internet goes down, I am able to view the video on all my ring devices, even if I disable WiFi on my phone. And my firestick continues to stream even when there is no internet connection. Is there any reason that can cause this to happen?

Options
2021-11-01 06:41:35

@KevinJ 

Hi, Kevin,

Could you please start a new thread about your case with the following information:

Did you set up Deco X20 as an access point?

For the ring cameras, I tend to think you might view the camera via local access which did not require an internet connection.

As for the firestick, maybe the video has finished downloading before the internet disconnected.

Options
Related Articles