Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection
2021-11-03 23:27:24

having the exact same issues as everyone on this thread.

My ISP is Virgin Media (UK) and I specifically bought wanted a mesh setup since the Hub 3.0 supplied by the ISP has a really poor signal. However, it now appears while I have a good signal, the internet connection drops multiple times in an hour. 

The setup is unworkable and need a quick resolution otherwise these devices will have to go back. 

Any progress on figuring out what is causing the issues?

Also, are we able to daisy chain the connections between deco x20s?

Options
2021-11-03 23:41:37

@TP-Link 

I have created a new thread about about my case: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/508436?page=1

To clarify the ring and firestick scenarios:

When I checked my ring app when the internet went down on the Deco, I disconnected my phone from the WiFi, but I was still able to view the ring cameras. That means that the ring cameras was able to upload the video stream to the cloud while connected to the Deco that had no internet connection.

Also for the firestick, I was on Youtube when the internet went down, but the video continued to play. I stopped playing the current video I was watching and clicked another, and the video played in 1080p without any buffering. I checked my firestick to make sure it was connected to the Deco, and it was, except that the Deco had no internet. All phones and computers would disconnect from the Deco when it dropped internet. 

Options
2021-11-04 06:51:23

@MohZam 

Hi, as for the daisy chain network, did you mean something like this:

ISP--Virgin Hub 3.0—main X20(wireless router mode)----<wired>----first satellite X20-----<wired>---secondary satellite X20

If yes, it is ok.

As for the unstable connection, could you please help me get more details:

1. Did the LED of the main Deco turn red?

2. How did you restore the internet connection, rebooting the Deco or it would restore by itself later?

Options
2021-11-04 07:26:14

@TP-Link 

the connection drops, i didnt notice the light changing but after a minute or so the connection is automatically restored. this is very disruptive for zoom calls and citrix sessions. 

i would go into the app to see theres an exclamation mark and when i tap on it, the connection often restores itself. 

Options
2021-11-29 07:10:43

@WiRXMAN Just as an update to my issue i had in this thread, it turned out to be not one, but two bad 'new' Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 Cable Modems. The first one was bad from the get go. That dibacle frustrated me for a month plus to get it sorted out. Then the second cable modem would work fine for a while, and then require a complete shut down and reboot because I would lose internet access or at the least, it would become extremely unstable.

A month ago, it started getting to the point I would lose internet every two hours, like clockwork. I new it had to be the cable modem and not my Deco's because the Deco's would still connect my devices, just they couldnt go out to the internet. Lo and behold, I replaced my cable modem with an Arris SB8200 and I have NOT had A SINGLE ISSUE with my network since. It's like night and day.

Thank you TP-Link for my product, as you have been rock solid. I will not be buying Netgear any more. It was two bad cable modems and before that a bad gaming wifi 8port router that was crap. I've got a good setup now and loving it.

Options
2022-03-21 12:01:09
I'm seeing the exact issue described in the OP here. My firmware is 1.50.0 date:20210121 Rel. 54794 I will try the recommended firmware once I have a chance. But, as this has been tagged as the Recommended Solution to the issue, why have any improvements from these FW builds not reached a new release of firmware for the general users? It seems a lot of users are experiencing what has been reported and known issue....
Options
2022-03-23 08:13:29

@Korsmann 

Hi, the network instability might be caused by different issues and the official firmware will include the factors we have already found during troubleshooting.

So normally it is required to check whether your current firmware is up to date. if yes, but the Deco is still unstable, the debug firmware will help record some useful information for further troubleshooting.

And I will wait for your feedback.

thank you very much.

Options
2022-03-27 20:25:54

@gumgum 

Hi, I know this is kinda old but I had the same problem, and I found a solution to that.

If your deco is operating in AP mode, make your DHCP server's lease time higher, for me the sweet spot was 8 days.

When it was 10 minutes I had connections drop every 10 minutes. After changing that, It was solved.

Options
2022-04-14 15:57:25

I am having the same issue. I have two X20 connected.

Can I attach my today's log? I had two connections losses today.

Options
Related Articles