iOS14 and iPadOS14 WiFi - Private Address setting circumvents parental controls and possibly QOS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

iOS14 and iPadOS14 WiFi - Private Address setting circumvents parental controls and possibly QOS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:iOS14 and iPadOS14 WiFi - Private Address setting circumvents parental controls and possibly QOS
2021-04-11 11:47:10

@TP-Link 

It is no longer just iPhones and iPads, but Android devices, too. Which means: practically everything. 

I don't know how Deco Product Manager sleeps at night, knowing that.

Options
Re:iOS14 and iPadOS14 WiFi - Private Address setting circumvents parental controls and possibly QOS
2021-07-05 04:05:35

@TP-Link Please fix this. 

The parental control system must be considered broken if it is so easy to work around.

Please introduce a default profile for new devices (aka private MAC address) joining the wi-fi network.

Alternatively introduce an approval process for new devices so that a manager/parent has to okay the request to join (and can therefore set a profile manually).

Options
2021-09-07 11:57:48

Any updates? It's been ongoing for ages, seems like TP Link gave up on finding a solution?

Options
2021-09-07 12:41:28

Seems like they don't really care. It's not a well known issue. No potential customer is looking for this issue when they purchase the product. The customers discover it after using the product for a while, and the product is outside the return window.

Unless it hits their sales, they won't prioritize a fix.

Options
2021-09-07 13:09:18

@dfb I've been using Archer/TP Link for ages.  However with my kids getting into their teen years this is a loophole for me.  Are other manufactures addressing this issue?  If so, can someone suggest a brand / model?

Options
2021-09-20 08:03:11

@TP-Link_Deco 

Please create a permanent fix for this as this is easy to modify from the local device my kids are on. Also on my M4R i cannot white/black list MAC addresses to keep them from connecting.

Indeed this was a plus for purchasing this but now that it is not working anymore a fix should be released of if that is not happening in the near future i need to swap to a different brand.

I am also communication this to Ziggo, this is a supplier in NL that sold these along with their internet connection subscription. But apparently they also swapped away form these devices.

Thanks in advance for addressing this.

Gr.

Options