Cast to Chromcast on guest network / guest mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-12 22:24:06
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 65637

Hello,

1. I have my network set up with my google Chromecast connected to my guest network so that guests can freely cast media when they visit. However, is it possible for devices connected to the main network to also cast to the chromecast without needing to switch to the guest network? (i.e. Using my devices on main network to cast to chromecast on guest network)
  2. Additionally, there is a guest mode that you can set up through the chromecast to allow for guests to cast from their mobile device as long as they are in the same room as the Chromecast (https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6109286?hl=en), though I am unable to get this feature to work either. I have tried to use this guest mode with my chromecast connected to the main network as well as the guest network without success. I have also tried using my phone via cell data and it does not show option to cast either. Is this a limitation of tplink network setup? 
  3. I have tried to look up this issue online as well as this forum but have not been able to find the right solution. What I have found has alluded to guest network devices not being able to "see" devices on the main network. Though is there a way to set up an exception or vlan such that the chromecast can accept casting from either the main network or its guest mode?

Thanks in advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cast to Chromcast on guest network / guest mode
2020-08-20 03:53:00

@MaxSwole 

Hello,

If you want to create a communication between the main network and guest network, you can switch the Deco to Access Point Mode. However, if the Deco needs to be working at Router mode, there is no way to achieve that.

For the Chromecast guest mode, as per the instructions showing, there is no need to do anything on the Deco network, you just need to ensure the guest phone connects to the Chromecast's default Wi-Fi, then they can communicate:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6109292?hl=en&ref_topic=6109288

Let me know if there is anything we could help further, good day.

Options
Re:Cast to Chromcast on guest network / guest mode
2020-08-20 22:13:47

@TP-Link_Deco 

I would like to keep the Deco in router mode as there is reduced functionality with AP mode. I understand that clients on the guest network are isloated from the main network, but was looking to see if an exception could be set up.

As for the guest mode on chromecast, I understand that the guest phone needs to connect to the wifi/bluetooth beacon emitted by the chromecast, but i currently cannot do this. I am wondering if there is anything related to the Deco network that is preventing this broadcast. I already have IGMP manually turned on.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2217

Replies: 2