Limits of ability of extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-13 19:27:25
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Background - moved to 5 bed house, main bedroom is extension built over double garage. Have Virgin fibre cable supply. Had problem that router would not enable WiFi in main bedroom (probably because what had been outer wall of house was now inside wall separating main bedroom from rest of house. Took some advice and got extender RE450 ver 3. With the extender at nearest to main bedroom without getting red light the WiFi strength in main bedroom is so weak the device drops the extender and goes to 3G. 
Moving extender to bedroom does not work as get red light. Any solution?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Limits of ability of extender
2020-08-17 02:44:43

@Tacker35 

Good day.

May I know how far away from the main bedroom to the router?

Have you put the RE450 maybe half way from the router to the main bedroom, if possible, trying to avoid multiple walls?

And if the whole house is under the same electric circuit or meter, maybe the power-line expansion would be a better idea, such as:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/

Thank you and have a good day.

Options
2020-08-17 06:06:47
Perhaps best if describe house. Square house with garage built on side. Then room built on top of garage which is now the main bedroom. Router is just inside left hand wall of house and main bedroom is at opposite end from it. Distance from router to wall between main bedroom and rest of house is 7metres. I put RE450 in the next bedroom to main bedroom (if I move it into main bedroom the red light shows weak signal) in what is the nearest socket to the main bedroom. With my iPad connected to the RE450 (by standing next to it) I then start to move towards main bedroom but as soon as I enter that room my iPad drops from the RE450 to 3G. Hope that makes picture clearer.
Options
2020-08-17 06:19:33
Realise I did not touch on the electrics. Have a brand new main fuse board onto which all house electrics are connected. There are a number of individual ring mains running from that fuse board. The router and the main bedroom are on separate circuits but connected to that main fuse board. Hope that covers it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 250

Replies: 3