'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-15 00:31:57 - last edited 2022-01-06 08:46:49

@Kevin_Z what are TP-Link doing to fix the 'aggressive' / hijacking Smart DHCP kicking in on AP mode when the router goes down issue?

It's been nearly a 18 months since it was raised to you and no response for over a year. See: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/155575?page=1

I was going to buy a Deco setup to run in AP mode, but this 'aggressive' smart DHCP issue outstanding is a deal breaker there's no way I am making the purchase until TP-link put in the option to fully disable DHCP under AP mode.

Thanks to all on the various other threads for highlighting the problem, I feel your pain.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Solution]'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode-Solution
2020-08-17 10:35:46 - last edited 2022-01-06 08:46:49
Recommended Solution
Options
25 Reply
Re:'Aggressive' Smart DHCP under AP mode
2020-08-15 00:51:05

Seems Kevin left / resigned / is stuck at localhost due to bad DHCP.

@TP-Link_Deco what's the situation?

Options
Re:'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode
2020-08-15 06:00:37

I  bought M5 few days ago. Upgraded the firmware. I shutdown down my DHCP service on my RPi and my phone continuoulsy broadcasting (verifying with tshark on my Rpi), waited for about 15 seconds. Does that mean, is this fixed in AP mode.

I couldn't run my DHCP server in router mode though, so I am stuck with AP mode. This is OK I think as I got much bufferbloat in router mode with QOS settings with M5 anyway. I will use my ERX edgemax router for QOS at least.

Options
2020-08-15 08:51:50

@malahal2 that's a completely unrelated issue please start your own thread. Thanks.

Options
2020-08-16 08:00:54
As I said, the DHCP service on M5 didn't respond for 15 seconds when my usual DHCP service on Rpi was stopped. So I am assuming that DHCP service on M5 is stopped in AP mode. Can you explain when and how smart DHCP on M5 comes into picture? I am interested in this because I have my own DHCP server and don't want M5 to muck with DHPC service ever. My second paragraph is unrelated to your question, and I am not asking for help with that as I am not going to run it in router mode ever. I just gave that info as a data point, that is all.
Options
2020-08-16 08:09:42
@atca, sorry now I read the link you posted. Looks like this is triggered when the ethernet light goes out on M5. In my case, I was just stopping my DHCP service. I will try this and see what happens. I am not sure why tplink goes to great lengths to do this smart (aka dumb) thing when it is lot easier to stop the service in AP mode.
Options
2020-08-16 12:31:44 - last edited 2020-08-16 12:32:33

I am using latest 1.4.7 Build 20200725 Rel. 63377 firmware, it has the same issue. As soon as I disconnect ethernet cable, it takes over DHCP services. It ends up giving some IP address which could conflict with our own DHCP server given Ip address leading to nasty issues. Silly feature. I will have to think about returning these (I am still in return window!)

Regards, Malahal.

Options
[Solution]'Aggressive / Hijacking' Smart DHCP under AP mode-Solution
2020-08-17 10:35:46 - last edited 2022-01-06 08:46:49
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-17 11:14:10

@TP-Link_Deco thanks for the update.

I think asking your customers to be more patient is pathetic when you have had over a year to address this. Especially when a triple pack of x60 is $400+, it is premium price territory for a fundamental issue.

This issue clearly is a big issue many threads on the Deco forum cite that the Smart DHCP in AP mode is causing problems as it does not consistently step back down once the gateway router DHCP comes up. I already have experienced this issue on a friends M4 with a popular router infront.

I appreciate if someone puts the Deco into AP mode without a DHCP server upstream they will lose access, but surely this is where a hard factory reset kicks in for those customers not savvy enough to properly use AP mode without their own DHCP server.

I'd prefer if your tech team are not going to fix this out of principle that you say. Given TP Link have had a year plus you must have made a decision. Clarity will stop people investing money in a product that doesn't fully work in AP mode. Walking around the house to reset the Deco after every router/DHCP reboot is not an acceptable solution!!!

Options
2020-08-17 11:15:19 - last edited 2020-08-17 11:20:54
This issue is also not solved, so please do not mark it as such. This approach simply infuriates your customers!
Options
2020-08-17 13:39:01

No one in their right mind expects their LAN devices to work when their router is down. So smart DHCP in AP mode plain bogus, if you ask me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4640

Replies: 25