Deco P9 unstable connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-02 12:09:43 - last edited 2021-01-22 03:12:48
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I've had a 3 unit Deco P9 system from February this year. The Deco is in router mode.All units are connected directly to mains, no extension cords are used. Main unit and one of the satellites are located about 10m from each other and only one thin wall between them. The third unit is in the basement of my house and there's a lot of concrete, steel and water pipes (for heating) between the units. The wifi connection to the third unit is very weak, but it does exist. Thats why i wanted a PLC backhaul.

The system has been up and running for about 6 months without any issues. Connection also from the 3 rd.unit in the basement has been fast and stable, enabling remote working and video conferencing.

Suddenly about a week ago problems appreared. I did not change anything. Connection from the basement unit us unbelieavable unreliable.This applies to both wired and wireless devices. Sometimes the connection is as it used to be, but suddenly it is lost, or it is extremely slow (Speedtest showing less that 0,1 Mbps download speed). At the same time connection from the other 2 units is as always, i.e. no problems at all.

When the connection is slow, the led of the unit is solid white. It might also be solid white when there's no connection at all (Windows PC with ethernet cable connected to the unit does not recognize the connection, but white led anyway). And also, there has been times when there's no connection and the led is blinking red.

When the connection is slow, it seems that at least half of the packets are lost when pinging Deco's IP.

The firmware is the latest.

I have tried everything I have found from this forum and elsewhere. I have resetted the whole system, swapped the places of the units, tried fixed IP addresses, removed QoS services etc. In any case there's unstable connection from the unit in the basements and the others are working fine. Could it be so that deco wants to use the very weak wifi backhaul, even though the PLC backhaul is available and the PLC icon is visible in the app? But, I didn't update the firmware and before this week it worked fine. Is the Deco updating itself automatically?

I'm desperate because I need the connection for remote working. I already renovated my old office room and it's now reserved for other use. It's very difficult to carry everything back upstairs.It also will be very difficult to have an ethernet backhaul to the basement.

I paid over 200€ for the system. Now it's 6 months old and it probably will be difficult to get my money back.

Please advise.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 unstable connection-Solution
2021-01-22 03:12:40 - last edited 2021-01-22 03:12:48

@SG1971 

Hi thanks for your feedback.

For the unstable connection on the Deco P9, please refer to the following firmware:

Latest version: 1.1.3 20210115

Download Link:

https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202101/20210118/Deco_P9_1.1.3_20210115_debug.zip

How to update the firmware:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201207/Documentation for upgrading Deco system.pdf

Thank you very much and wait for your update.

Recommended Solution
Options
31 Reply
Re:Deco P9 unstable connection
2020-09-03 08:55:36

An update:

This morning I started working with a laptop with wifi connection to the basement Deco unit, which sits on the same desk, i.e. the distance is short. Connection was created immediately and it was fast. After about half an hour the speed was dropped dramatically. Because I was mainly reading documents, I just continued working and followed what's happening. The connection was all the time very slow, but there was a connection and my VPN connection to company network was alive.

At some point I also started my desktop pc, which is connected to the same Deco unit with an ethernet cable. This PC couldn't create a connection. I tried ipconfig /renew every now and then, with no luck. There was only a timeout and an error message "no connection to the DHCP server". At the same time my laptop's connection was still alive (barely).The led on the Deco unit was solid white all the time. Deco app didn't find the unit.

After about 2 hours waiting I finally rebooted the deco unit. I unplugged it from the mains and plugged in again. After that (for about an hour now) both the laptop and desktop pc have had a stable and fast connection.

This clearly is a firmware problem, somehow related to the weak wifi connection to my basement. Swapping the units doesn't help and problems are tied to the location, not to a specific unit.

Is there a beta firmware available? I'm willing to give it a try.

Options
2020-09-04 11:19:26 - last edited 2020-09-04 11:22:05

@Jaytea 

Hi, I experience exactly the same problem the only difference is that I have a P7, started last saturday.

I bought a new LG Smart TV and connected it with a cable to the primary Deco unit, after a while the internet connection were lost both on WIFI and Cable, after rebooting everything it worked for a while but then it lost the connection again, it takes about 1h-3h and then I need to reboot again.

Any suggestions how to solve this would be much appreciated since my kids is going bananas.....

//Nisse

Options
2020-09-04 11:41:56

@Jaytea 

Hi, sorry about that. Please help verify some details and we will escalate your case to the engineers who will help you fix this:

Can you please confirm how the 3 Deco units are connected, via wireless or PLC, especially when the speed drops or the internet is down in the basement unit? You may confirm it as below:
On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on one of the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is a Powerline icon, it means the satellite Deco is using PLC backhaul.

How often does the disconnection issue happen and how do you make it back to work? As per your description, this issue seems to be caused by the location that this specific Deco P9 cannot build up a stable PLC backhaul with the others, it is suggested to try another wall socket and see if it helps.

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-06 11:58:07

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here are my answers.

Both satellites have icons visible for both Wifi and PLC. Obviously, when the app doesn't have connect to the basement Deco unit, then I can't check them. Anyway, I have never seen anything else but both icons visible. This has been the case also when the connection is slow, but the app still sees the unit.

Problems useally start after 1-2 hours of usage, sometimes only after few minutes.

I have tried all wall sockets in the room where I need the connection. It seems that this doesn't have any effect.

Booting (= unplugging and plugging the power cord) the basement unit solves the problem, until it starts again. Meanwhile it works just fine.

Waiting doesn't help. I just was away from home for two days. When I left, there was no connection from the basement and the app didn't see the unit either. The led was solid white. After two days, when I came back, the situation was exactly the same.

Options
2020-09-07 01:14:44

@Jaytea 

Hello, thanks a lot for all the details you've provided.

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Good day~

Options
2020-10-20 19:12:07

@TP-Link_Deco I'm having the same exact issue as described by many here, what is the fix? Can you have someone contact me? I just bought 2 of the 3 Pack Sets only 6 months ago and I'm ready to toss them out the window! No one here can work efficiently. I'm using Deco P9's, firmware just updated all units to 1.1.2 Build 20200918 Rel. 74476 (issue occured BEFORE the update, about last week sometime) thinking that would fix the issue. I've tried relocating the units, 4 of the 6 were hardwired but no only the Main unit is wired, this seems to at least keep the connection somewhat stable however my speeds are drastically reduced. Since I deployed them, I was getting ~400Mbps now I'm lucky to get ~100Mbps. I have about 45-50 servers/clients connected at any given time of day. Please help.

Options
2020-10-20 19:47:42

@Jaytea 

I'm having this exact issue. One of my satellites (Which my desktop is connected to) loses its connection randomly.My wife's desktop, on another satellite, is 100%. Was working until recently for months. May have corresponded with updating the DECO firmware. M9 plus. 

If I can't get it to stop, I'll get another brand and return them to Costco.

Options
2020-10-21 06:19:42

@cab1983 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue.

So the current issue is the slow speed issue and the disconnect issue was resolved? If yes, please help confirm the below details and we will try to figure it out:

1. What is the detailed network topology/layout? How are the 6 P9s connected to each other, what is the distance between each of them?

2. Was the mobile device or laptop connected to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz when you did the speedtest? Please check the wireless link speed on it. There might be a difference between the speed tested on the Deco app and the actual speed tested on a client, you may refer to the below link for more details:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1865/

Please connect one computer to the broadband modem directly and test the speed you can get from it to do a simple comparison, then connect the same computer to the main Deco and test the speed as well.

Thanks a lot and let us know if there is any update.

Options
2020-10-21 06:24:45

@ImARealMesh 

Hello, can you please also confirm how the 3 Deco units are connected, via wireless or Ethernet, especially when your satellite unit drops? You may confirm it as below:
On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on one of the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.

How often does the disconnection happen and how do you make it back to work? As per your description, this issue seems to be caused by the location that this specific Deco M9 cannot build up a stable connection with the others, it is suggested to swap the two satellite units and confirm.

Thanks.

Options
2020-10-21 06:37:43

@ImARealMesh 

An update from me... I had contact with TP-Link engineer about a month ago. We had a remote session (about 2 hours) and he investigated my Decos.He found something, did a temporary fix and said they are working on a permanent solution.

After that I've had no problems at all.

Now there's an update available for my Decos but I have not updated yet. Maybe I should contact the same engineer and ask if I should perform the update or not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7477

Replies: 31

Related Articles