TP-link deco m4 and Zoom Video Conference

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-link deco m4 and Zoom Video Conference

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
70 Reply
Re:TP-link deco m4 and Zoom Video Conference
2021-01-01 15:54:54 - last edited 2021-01-01 16:00:04

@tim.mac119 

@TP-Link_Deco

I have a three-disc TP-Link Deco M5 set-up running firmware version 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel.66804.  My ISP provider is Plusnet.

I have had a similar problem in that I am unable to connect to Zoom since the last Deco firmware update when trying to access Zoom on wi-fi from a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 laptop. It has worked fine for the 18 months I've been using Zoom on that device prior to the update.  

The same device connects fine to Zoom when connected via network cable to the deco unit, but that restricts me to where I can do that.  

The laptop also connects fine via wi-fi, if I switch the wi-fi connection to the main Plusnet router and bypass the TP-Link wi-fi.  But I can't get a reliable wi-fi signal in all parts of the house, hence the reason I purchased the Deco Mesh system.  I have tried connecting to Zoom using the Plusnet wi-fi signal, and once connected on the meeting switching to the TP-Link wi-fi, but the connection then becomes unstable and drops me in/out of the zoom meeting repeatedly.

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron laptop, and that connects fine using the TP-Link Deco wi-fi.  I have also tested with another device and that also connects fine on the TP-Link Deco wi-fi.  

There must be some issue with the Microsoft Surface Pro wi-fi drivers/hardware that don't like the latest Deco firmware update.

I'm happy to participate in any testing / provide further updates if it helps find a fix. 

Options
2021-01-11 21:44:03 - last edited 2021-01-11 21:53:06

@tim.mac119 

I have the same problem with Zoom as everyone else on here. Have 3 TP-link Deco M 9+, latest firmware downloaded from the Internet and patched. (1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel. 42500) Trying to use Zoom on two different Mac laptops. Worked fine with old wifi router, doesn't work with M9 (get unstable connection or can't connect messages from both the web site and the client).

Everything else works great on the M9, including Google meet and Ring Central video chatting. Actually Ring is buffering ocasionally. Statistics show I'm using about 500 kbs up and down. If I disconnect the M9+ and hotspot the laptop to my cell phone, it works but isn't awesome. But it's so slow as to be unusable on the M9+. It didn't even work until I added the camera into the "prioritized device" category. Now I can connect to the web site but it's VERY slow, and the client can't really connect at all.

Would love some help fixing this, definitely frustrating to not be able to do Zoom calls in this current quarantine world. What's weird is I believe Ring Central is actually just a rebranded Zoom client, so in theory it should look similar on the back end in terms of protocol/ports/traffic/etc.

Jason

Options
2021-01-14 01:41:18

It's just heedless that this issue is affecting so many customers (m4, m5, m9) for months and TPLink are not able to provide a software fix. Especially during Covid where everyone is working from home and using Zoom. Wake up!!! 

Options
2021-01-16 11:38:34 - last edited 2021-01-16 11:38:52

@KY89 the same problem with Zoom and Deco m4 in AP mode. Conference is unstable, often disconnecting...

Options
2021-01-17 11:17:09

@TP-Link_Deco 

Any updates on this issue? I'm a new user and wish I'd spent more time on this forum before buying 3x M4. I have no doubt the connection is far more stable than just using VM Hub 3 and a couple of TP-Link homeplug extenders but, as most people do atm, we use zoom a lot for work, family contact, music lessons etc etc etc. I'm very impressed with the product but not impressed with the length of time this issue has been known about.

TBH just an indication that you are still looking at this would be a start. TIA

Options
2021-01-17 11:40:13

@tim.mac119 

I've tried a new solution, by default SIP ALG is turned on on many routers, in many places it's mentioned that most implementations are causing more issues than assisting.

You can read more here on SIP ALG:

https://www.voicehost.co.uk/help/sip-alg-and-why-it-should-be-disabled-your-router

Anyway, go to your router settings and disable it, everything should continue to work as usual.. check if it helps you, after I did it I didn't have single glitch.

Options
2021-01-17 14:18:15

@KY89

@TP-Link_Deco

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Plusnet HomeHub router (same as BT router) and it looks like from looking through the settings, and from what that article says, that I can't disable SIP ALG - "SIP ALG cannot be disabled in the settings of BT HomeHubs but can be disabled with BT Business Hub versions 3 and higher."

TP-Link - you really should be commenting/updating the community on this issue as it affecting a number of users.  

Options
2021-01-17 14:19:24

@RedRoger 

Looping in TP-Link @TP-Link_Deco 

TP-Link - you really should be commenting/updating the community on this issue as it affecting a number of users. 

Options
2021-01-17 16:54:41
unfortunately turning off SIP ALG is not an option with a Virgin Homehub 3 so may have to see what happens with the hub in modem mode and dig out my previous router
Options
2021-01-20 03:35:29
Same Issue here
Options