Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
126 Reply
Re:Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly
2020-10-11 19:20:40

@dmk 

So we have quite similar environment. 

What about USB, are you using any disk plugged-in to router? I have one for TimeMachine purposes (but it's there for last one year, and everything WAS working good).

Options
2020-10-11 19:23:44
Yes, it sounds very similar. I have no USB connected to the router.. Getting very irritated because I work from home 5 days a week and its so annoying when in meetings and this happends..
Options
Re:Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly-Solution
2020-10-11 19:27:50 - last edited 2020-10-11 19:30:29

@swuggmaister 

So the USB is not source of the problem. This need to be investigated by tplink - of course I can send back on warrenty, but this is not looking like hardware problem. For many people C9 stareted rebooting last few days. And symptoms are same. Nothing helped, reconfiguration or firmware flash also didn't. It must be something IN the software. It doesn't metter if any apple product cause this, because router should be bullet proof from that point of view.

Few years ago I had on my company network one tplink access point and it was restarting like crazy. Simmilar symptoms caused (at the end) by some android device that we used for development purposes. And after 1.5 year (!) they released firmware update with exact note, that some android devices could cause stability problems... this is how tplink support sold devices. No mesh support for C9, no firmware update, unsolved bugs...

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-11 19:30:11
I am of the same opinion as you. I talked to TP-link support function and she said it was most likely a faulty device... (I dont believe her after reading on this forum) I will wait and try to get a fix from TP-Link. Sounds promising that it took 1.5 years for you last time :D lol.
Options
2020-10-12 03:54:06

@swuggmaister  @dmk 

Hi, I just replied to your another post in the below link, please confirm:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/179006

Thanks~

Options
2020-10-12 14:36:09

Another question: are you logged in to tplink cloud?

Options
2020-10-13 06:17:47

Tested with cloud, without cloud, changing firewall parameters, disabling ALG na UPnP - nothing helps. It definetly must be bug in software and some overflow. 

Options
2020-10-13 08:01:08
Hey Mate. No, i am not logged into that. I tried disable 5 Ghz network and just working with 2.4 Ghz now. Let's see if that does any difference.
Options
2020-10-14 14:57:58

@Kevin_Z 

I have been having the same issue for the last 2 weeks as in this thread and as reported in quite a few others. Logs produced after each reboot same as per 1st in thread https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/220148

Had the router for 11 months. 

Model: Archer C9

Hardware Version: V5

Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 Rel 63839 (4555)

Tried new Ethernet cables, factory resets, removed all cables from lan ports leaving Ethernet from cable modem to Wan port only and use of up to 12 wifi devices mix of 2.4ghz & 5ghz. 

Using original power adapter that came with router and tried different power points.

No changes in devices or ISP during problem period.

2 - 10 random reboots every day & all devices disconnect. Light sequence: all come on then all off other than power light which flashes before eventually becoming solid followed by both wifi & internet lights. Reboot completes & Internet/devices reconnected between 2-5 minutes.

While rebooting I can connect the Ethernet cable going into the wan port into a laptop and establish an internet connection (takes a few minutes as MAC address registers with ISP).

ISP cannot identify any problems from their end or HFC network and believe problem with my router.

Any ideas?

Options
2020-10-14 20:06:41 - last edited 2020-10-14 20:07:15

Hi Mendo. The exact same scenario that you described happends to me as well. Had mine for 2 years without any issue. It all started for two weeks ago. I got another firmware from TPlink engineer but for 5 minutes ago the same thing happened again so its nothing wrong with the firmware you have.... Do you have a philips hue? I saw mine was updated 2020-10-02. I cant remember exact when this started but it was around 2 weeks ago. Do you think this can cause the issue? @Mendo 

Options