Extend wifi range by adding powerline adapter to existing TL-PA451KIT AV500

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-18 15:16:51

I have a rather old (2015) vintage pair of Powerline adapters (model is TL-PA451KIT AV500)

I need to improve the wifi coverage in an upstairs room in the house and thought I might be able to add another adapter to the existing pair. I'd like an adapter that plugs into the mains, links to my router via Powerline and transmits a stronger signal in the room.

I've been looking at two models

TL-WPA8630P - has dual band wifi, might be faster (not sure) but £85

TL-WPA4220 Powerline 600 Wi-Fi Powerline Extender - only single band wifi, probably slower, but only £31 instead

I'm inclined to go for the less expensive model (the TL-WPA4220), but am I missing some important consideration here in terms of compatibility with my existing setup?

Grateful for any advice

Stephen Yeo

London

Options
4 Reply
Re:Extend wifi range by adding powerline adapter to existing TL-PA451KIT AV500
2020-10-19 09:44:44

@StephenYeo 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

All our power line adapters are compatible with each other.

And considering the old KIT is TL-PA451kit AV500, so TL-WPA4220 is good enough.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-10-19 10:01:39
Thanks very much indeed
Options
2021-12-11 15:50:14

@Solla-topee 

Two more questions - after a very long delay!

1. I have not used an extender before. Does the 4220 establish a separate wifi network (with its own SSID and password) or does it somehow replicate the existing wifi network created by the router? I would be quite happy with a separate network in fact.

2. If I used two extenders on the same network, should I expect any reduction in performance?

Thanks

Stephen Yeo

Options
2021-12-29 11:49:25

Hello Stephen@StephenYeo 

1. TL-WPA4220 will establish  a separate WiFi network (with its own SSID and password) , and this SSID and password can be changed

2. It is very common to have multiple extenders under the same house powerline, powerline kit of the same manufacture usually do not cause interference with each other. 

While all the powerline extenders share the total bandwidth of router, if the devices connect to extender #1 is using internet, then you may see a reduction in performance the other extender. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 690

Replies: 4