Add-on device for bedside security--push to turn on all tp-link outlet devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-20 14:53:10

Within the Kasa app, I can run a scene labeled "All On."  But if our house alarm goes off in the night and we want to SILENTLY power up all the lights from the relative safety of our bedroom (true story btw) we have to unlock a phone, open Kasa, get to scenes...  Whereas many house alarms provide bedside buttons that perform the same function with one push. 

So, is there a peripheral device that could be used to run a Kasa scene?  Or, a button that could toggle on/off all the smart plugs? 

It would be a great add for TP-Link.  This is a handy feature because we have had our basement motion sensor alarm and we would rather flip on the lights and have that person decide to get out quickly knowing they have been heard and someone is probably home.  

Options
3 Reply
Re:Add-on device for bedside security--push to turn on all tp-link outlet devices?
2020-10-31 14:50:09

@HomeEngineer 

Good day,

Thanks for your time and patience.

Currently, I am afraid that there is no such a toggle or switch which could enable the scenes directly without the APP;

But since the Kasa devices support IFTTT, maybe you could consider use the motion sensor or the nearest light as the trigger, the action would be to turn on the lights;

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2426/

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Add-on device for bedside security--push to turn on all tp-link outlet devices?
2020-11-01 15:34:02

@HomeEngineer Thank you for your reply and the link. While that won't do exactly what I would like to achieve, I could still achieve some elements of what I would like to do such as turn on basement lights if basement motion detector is triggered. There are too many other reasons why this could not work during the rest of the house but it would actually be handy for the lowest level in general.

Options
2020-11-02 19:54:25
Grab an old phone, install a clock screen saver, plug it into a charging stand and leave it by the bed. Turn off the screen lock. Multiple duties as an alarm clock, nightlight, emergency phone (you can call 911 even if the phone isn't activated), news, weather, music. Put a widget on the home page that will to turn on all of the necessary lights. There are after market apps that will make that very easy if you can't do what you want with kasa. I'm curious - why does it need to be silent? You do want them to know someone is home...
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options