wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:wifi channel
2021-11-04 20:57:29

@TP-Link 

Hi, It's been months ago since my last post.. unfortunately, still the same unsatisfying experience, it's so bad that we have our laptops wired as much as we can.

But let's be honest TP link, I (your customers) didn’t buy a mesh to have wireless devices hooked wired to experience a uncluttered connections…. Besides:

• Our smart TV’s works best with our phones when the tv is wireless connected… mirroring content isn’t possible when the tv is connected wired. And watching a Netflix wireless spoils the experience as it will need to buffer and then often hangs 25%...
  • Listening to music is really saddening me not because of the type of music 😉 but, because the many connection drops also between multiroom, sometimes it takes tens of minutes before connection is restored. Sonos says to fix this I need to change the channel..

I installed Deco lab Wi-Fi assistant and in the Wi-Fi-toolkit in which you can test speed and Wi-Fi interference and as suspected is speed way to slow (wired easily 80-100Mbps) and interference very high.

Any advice? If you can't fix this mabye you should offer recall/money back to all you customers who experience this?

Thanks

Options
2021-12-07 10:33:50

@TP-Link_Deco Can you guys please check my post on this? it's been more then a month ago!

Options
2021-12-07 12:54:29 - last edited 2021-12-07 13:06:43

@Marvin101 

Marvin101 wrote

@TP-Link 

• Our smart TV’s works best with our phones when the tv is wireless connected… mirroring content isn’t possible when the tv is connected wired. And watching a Netflix wireless spoils the experience as it will need to buffer and then often hangs 25%...
  • Listening to music is really saddening me not because of the type of music 😉 but, because the many connection drops also between multiroom, sometimes it takes tens of minutes before connection is restored. Sonos says to fix this I need to change the channel..

I installed Deco lab Wi-Fi assistant and in the Wi-Fi-toolkit in which you can test speed and Wi-Fi interference and as suspected is speed way to slow (wired easily 80-100Mbps) and interference very high.

If your network SSID name is "we are MOSO," it is not really cluttered channel. It is an issue with how Deco lab assistant analyzes WiFi congestion. Deco lab assistant sees all your Deco nodes broadcasting on the same channel in close proximity of each other, and makes the wrong assumption. 

Move your Deco WiFi mesh network to a different channel, and Deco Lab Assistant will start complaining about that new channel. That is not the reason your home WiFi network provides slow speeds.

What you should be paying attention on that picture is Signal Strength. Having -68dBm could explain why your WiFi devices have issues. You got yourself WiFi mesh, you'll need to figure how to improve coverage in places where it matters, by rearranging WiFi nodes (Deco units you have) or adding more.

With WiFi toolkit or WiFi analyzer app it would be easy to figure where weak WiFi signal spots are in your house.

This may provide useful information: https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-strength/

---------------

Also, in regard to another topic of your post: I have Android smart TV wired to Main Deco. I have no issues mirroring content to it from my Android smartphone. I can mirror smartphone screen and I can mirror through the app such as Photos or YouTube. 

Options
2021-12-07 14:01:58

@Alexandre. Thanks for your help. Are you sure that's the case? Why is Sonos also telling me to change channel?

i already made adjustments a couple of months ago: Removing as much as the obsticals as possible, placing them a close a possible but, also coverage from left to right and bottom to top.. My house isn't Fortnox, just normal wall thickness etc.

I don't have alot obstacles in between the deco's. The main is at the entrance (provider modem), the second is 9m further on the same floor with only pretty normal door as obstacles, the third is on the 1st floor ceiling almost in the center. I can't see how this could be the problem. If i go the network optimization in the deco app it almost always says "Perfect!"

First Sonos is within 5m range of the second deco with a clear path...

Kitchen Sonos is within 3m range of main deco but with 7cm plasterboard wall as obstacle

According on what i can find LG TV's only support WiFi/Wifi Direct/DiFi  - no ethernet

Options
2021-12-07 15:29:15 - last edited 2021-12-07 15:35:36

@Marvin101 

I do not live in a wilderness, but the strongest WiFi 5GHz signal coming to my house from neighbours is at -90dBm, which means it is very much non-existent. Yet, when I run WiFi Interference test in Deco Lab Assistant, it always reports high interference coming from nothing else but all my Deco WiFi nodes.:) I decided to ignore that test, it is not reliable.

I am getting about 200Mbps from M5s and more from M9s I have in my house, but:

1) I run Deco Main Network on 5GHz exclusively;

2) Signal Strength in my house does not go below -60dBm. In most places where it matters, where I must have good WiFi signal, it hovers between -50dBm and -60dBm. I am getting -30dBm to -40 dBm standing 6 feet away from Deco M5.

3) My Satellite Deco M5 reports 2 blue bars in its Signal Strength to Main Deco. 2.4Ghz signal from Main Deco to that Satellite Deco is at -55dBm.

----------

Is it possible your TV connected wirelessly to the "wrong" Deco, not to the nearest one? This is a common issue with smart TVs, they don't always get WiFi mesh. That's why I wired my Sony TV to Deco, and have it worry free.

Deco app will tell you where your TV is connected to. Same for Sonos.

There must have been also a bit of luck on my part: as my TV and smartphone both run Android, they have no problem communicating with each other over google cast, wired or wirelessly. LG webOS must have its quirks in that regard. When it is time to upgrade TV, consider one with Android OS or Google TV OS.

What I would suggest is for you to install WiFi analyzer on your smartphone. I would recommend WiFi Man from Ubiquiti: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey

Then, run a survey of your house. Check signal strength at LG TV location to Satellie Deco it is connected to. For fresh data, toggle WiFi off/on on smartphone just before checking  signal in WiFi analyzer. 

Then, walk to where Satellite Deco is to which LG TV is connected, turn off that Deco, and check in WiFi Analyzer signal strength from that location to Main Deco. Put smartphone on top of powered off Satellite Deco for accurate reading.

Repeat same with Sonos.

Weak signal from device to Satellite Deco it is connected to, or from Satellite Deco to Main Deco is the problem. 

If you find no obvious causes for issues with WiFi signal quality, but you want to give TP-Link another chance, I would suggest replacing all M5s with M9s. In my tests at my house, M9 Plus is superior to M5.

Of course, another option would be to ditch Deco and try different brand of WiFi mesh. I don't work for TP-Link, that decision of yours would not hurt my feelings or my pocketbook. Yet, regardless what other WiFi mesh system you will try, they all have same underlying technology and limitations, and what I shared is going to be useful in proper deployment of any WiFi mesh at your house.

Hint: if considering different WiFi mesh, go with tri-band. With Deco, M9 Plus is tri-band, M5 is not. 

Options
Related Articles