Access Windows shared drive over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 19:10:24
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200827 Rel. 40928(4555)

Hello, 

I've setup a VPN connection to my home network with VPN client ip range 10.0.0.11-10.0.0.21. I'm trying however to access a network shared drive which is on my local network 192.168.0.10. I can't see nor ping this device (it is a server). When I try to set the client IP range to my local network IPs it responds with: Range cannot be in the same subnet as local network.

How can I make this work? All I basically need is to connect these two networks (10.0.0.x with 192.168.0.x) so they can see eachother. Is this done by a static route?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Access Windows shared drive over VPN
2020-11-09 22:05:10

@Jaycero 

Have you set the Windows firewall to allow incoming SMB connections from remote clients?

By default Windows firewall blocks access from remote clients and you have to manually allow either the specific client address (10.0.0.x) or the whole IP address range (10.0.0.0/24).

Options
2020-11-11 15:54:56 - last edited 2020-11-11 16:01:42

Hello, thank you for replying. I've allowed File and Printer sharing in Firewall exceptions and also the remote management. I'm sorry i'm not very knowledgable in this area, do I need to allow anything else? Still doesn't work. Also, I forgot to mention that even with my VPN IP of 10.0.0.x I can ping my home router 192.168.0.1 but nothing else on the network.

Also here are my current VPN settings, just to be sure I have set it up properly. Thank you for help once again.

Options
2020-11-11 17:36:55

@Jaycero 

There could be more than one way to setup Windows firewall, but here is how I did it.

(I don't have the English user interface installed for Windows, so the my wording might a bit off)

From the point you were on your screenshots go up one level. (to "CP > S and S > Windows Defender Firewall")

On the left of that screen click on "Advanced Settings". (or so)

A new window opens. Click on "Incoming Rules".

Look for "File and Printer sharing (SMB-In)" and double click the one that is currently in use (marked by green sign).

Select the tab "scope". By default, the remote IP address field should have one entry called "local network" or something like that. Select that line and then "Edit". There you are given choices to either enter a single IP address or an IP address range or whole subnet (subnet "10.0.0.0/28" should be sufficient, if you don't plan to go above 10.0.0.14).

If you also want to be able to ping the Windows computer from the remote client, then you would have to do the same as above for that respective item. (should be "File and Printer sharing ICMPv4-In")

Options