HS100 Firmware 1.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS100 Firmware 1.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:HS100 Firmware 1.1
2020-11-14 13:35:49

To add, this new firmware also breaks the smart actions in the Kasa App, I contacted support and they said there was a security update in 1.1.0 which could mean 3rd party hardware might not work with the plugs now ! (Assume home assistant), however also now the app does not work. They seemed to think the app worked, but clearly it doesn't!!!!

Options
2020-11-16 09:46:19

Same problems here - I have a 100 and a 110 both of which have firmware updated to 1.1 and broken the local integrations to the static IP address of these plugs. 

I have worked around the 110 by using the Web API cloud integration following some of the posts that reverse engineer it (just google "eu-wap tplink" - works really well, only a small bit of coding) but my HS100 is used to automatically reboot my broadband modem when no internet is detected for a period so a local integration is required!

Please fix tp-link or let us downgrade.

Thanks!

Options
2020-11-17 14:15:40

@Brook Thanks for the response... will tp-link consider offering a secure local API so that home automation enthusiasts can control the plug without using an app?

Options
2020-11-17 14:35:48

Unfortunately, the Kasa app doesn't provide the flexibility of use that Homeassistaant does.

Options
2020-11-17 17:32:41

I have 10 Plugs HS100 / HS110 and one HS100 is now a V1.1.0 brick, I have hopfully blocked any internet access so the rest can't do an update, so have lost any remote functions with the Kasa app.

Wondering what the options are for downgrading the firmware to something that works.

Options
2020-11-17 19:36:58

@Brook "We were aware that there were some security vulnerabilities on the previous firmware of HS100/HS110, some third-party software such as home assistant might take advantage of the vulnerability to manage the plug."

Hardly "taking advantage".  There's never been ANY security in place for local access except for some trivial obsfucation of the data exchange.  Local, cloudless access is is one of the key advantages TP Link has over the competition.  Key applications are using this API, and Kasa has never been sufficient to provide an adequate level of automation.

The latest recent firmware update for older HS100 devices DOES NOT block local access.  So it's either a bug in 1.1 or a bug in the older HS100 firmware versions leaving us vulnerable.  Reports in this thread indicate that local access is blocked for Kasa as well as other applications, implying cloud only access which is not a reliable method to provide home automation.

Please clear up the misunderstanding Brook.  Are you going to fix this "vulnerability" for ALL of our TP Link devices, or recognize local access as a feature rather than a vulnerability and fix the problem in 1.1.0?  Without a clear statement I have no choice but to suspend further purchases of TP Link devices, and recommend the same to all other potential customers.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-11-18 07:39:52

@Brook 

You keep saying use the App but as stated that is not fully functional either since the update !!!, I have 4 plugs which all used the Smart Actions to turn off after a set period, that all worked fine on the previous firmware. Now it's not working. As slmeonese else has said these are bricks to me now. I had purchased two more plugs (still in the box), no doubt they will work fine until they automatically update their firmware !. If you are not going to fix it, please let everyone here and in the wider community know as many of us will need to find alternatives and stop buying these (previously useful) plugs !

Options
2020-11-18 10:10:27

@Brook The app is no good for me, I spent a long time making my "smart home" and chose these plugs for the local control. They are switched on/off by environmental (using an Envro hat on a pi) or network conditions (work computer on = entertainments off) none of this is possible via the app. 

Options
2020-11-18 11:19:51 - last edited 2020-11-18 11:21:51

Brook wrote

@Alasdair 

Good day!

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you very much for all your feedback.

We were aware that there were some security vulnerabilities on the previous firmware of HS100/HS110, some third-party software such as home assistant might take advantage of the vulnerability to manage the plug. To avoid the potential attacks and security risks causing by this, we have released a new firmware version 1.1.0 to fix it. After upgrade to the latest firmware, you may find that you cannot manage the smart plug with some unauthorized third-party applications.

It is suggested to use the TP-Link official Kasa Smart app to manage the plug.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Your understanding will be much appreciated.

@Brook This change has completley broken my smart home! I have over 15 smart plugs and switches that have all just broken with Home Assistant! I have two more Kasa switches I was about to install as well!  The Kasa Smart app does not provide the same capability as Home Assistant.

I use Home Assistant + my Kasa devices + my continous blood glucose monitor to wake me up in the middle of the night when my blood sugar levels go low (e.g. turn on my bedroom lamp and lights when my blood sugar is below safe levels). I now need to go out and buy new smart switches!

Options
2020-11-18 18:22:20

@Brook 

I think you can see by the many posts in this thread that Firmware 1.1 has essentially bricked what was an excellent plug for many home automation enthusiasts. Would be great if you could reconsider the tp-link position on supporting your users here. 

Thanks

Options