Archer C50 parental control and other issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-11 21:59:19
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Archer C50(EU)_V4_200608

I bought this device because I wanted parental control over my kids phones and PCs.

First surprise on setting it up - only 4 MAC addresses can be parentally controlled - fortunately I only need 4 at the moment but it would have been nice to know that limitation before I spent the money.

Second surprise - enabling parental control immediately prevents any device in the parental control list from accessing anything other than the specified URLs IRRESPECTIVE of any settings of the schedule.  The schedule has no affect at all. 

Third Surprise - after updating the stock firmware to the latest listed for my V4 hardware, when I log in the Username box has gone. Now it's only password. Not a biggie, just strange.

Fourth surprise  - The MAC address list dropdown on the parental controls list only has 4 clients listed - even though I have about 8 connected (some on 2.4G and some on 5G)  - so the device I want to manage by parental scheduling isn't available at all.....The only way I have found to get to the device I want to control is to repeatedly reboot the router until the MAC address suddenly does appear in the connected clients dropdown in the parental control tab (the device I want to control *always* shows in the 5G client list!)

Fifth surprise - TP-Link support don't seem to want to believe the software is just not working. (Although to be fair anyone who works in IT gets pretty used to users being the cause of 99% of the problems) 

Apart from returning this to Amazon as unfit for purpose, not quite sure what to do next.....

Does anyone run a version of firmware on this device that actually works?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C50 parental control and other issues
2020-12-10 09:41:58 - last edited 2020-12-10 09:42:30

@Nickynoo 

Hi, apologies for the delayed response, I hope you have not returned the router.

As for the Parental Control settings, It only allows 4 family profiles with the current firmware, and we actually think this is sufficient as we can add multiple clients or devices in the same profile.

It is suggested to configure the Parental Control settings on the C20 as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1723/

Options