Deco M9 units are NOT creating a real mesh, please advice for a fix!!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-16 09:36:45 - last edited 2020-11-16 09:58:06
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: latest

Hello,

i'm getting crazy here. It turns out the Deco's are not really creating a mesh, but always try to connect to the Main Deco. This is not a mesh, but a "star" or hub&spoke topology.

I'm running 3 M9 Deco's, all in AP mode. One of them is the main deco as it's wired to my Router. The other 2 are at 2 different levels in my house.

The Deco the furthest away (top floor) should logically connect to the closest Deco, but it's not: it's connecting to the Main deco at the ground floor, ie to the furthest Deco.

This is stupid, and unacceptible. The entire idea of a (wireless) mesh is that Deco's connect to the clostest Deco units, not to prefer the main deco. 

I trried to manually force the Top floor deco to connect to the first floor deco, and it worked for a while, but for whatever reason it automatically did reconnect to the main deco. 

Please advice TP Link, as the current implementation for more than 2 Deco's is flawed and incorrect. I need a fix for this, as i've paid 300 euro's for a setup that is effectively not solving anything for me!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9 units are NOT creating a real mesh, please advice for a fix!!!
2020-11-19 10:47:30

@Olafmol 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

Could you please help me run one more test:

1. Swap the location of the two satellite Deco units and check again for the furthest Deco to see it is connected to the main Deco or 1st satellite Deco?

In case it did not help, I would like to follow up on your case by email to ask the senior engineers for more advice.

Thank you very much!

Options
Re:Deco M9 units are NOT creating a real mesh, please advice for a fix!!!
2020-11-19 11:07:52

@TP-Link_Deco 

I will try that and report back. Can you tell me why the "not-main" Deco units have preference to connect to the Main Deco unit instead of to the closest one with the strongest signal? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1045

Replies: 2