Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
86 Reply
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-11-19 23:55:09

@WirelessForEver

I am just learning about this issue. I am US based and some of the links I've seen seem to reflect this is a UK firmware change. Don't know if similar change has been or will be made in the US but am responding in an attempt to avoid any nasty surprises. To date, I have loved TP Link products. As someone has said, good prices, good quality, and good performance. I have a ton of TP link smart home products. That said, Home Assistant is FAR more valuable to me. If TP Link is making firmware changes that wlll break the Home Assistant Integration I will rip out and replace ALL TP Link products and go with another vendor. That is a non-negotiable. I also don't see a case where I would be likely to buy TP link again in the future.  

Sure, I might be over-reacting here since I don't know the full picture yet ....so I would love more info from TP Link....What products are impacted by the firmware change that triggered this thread? What geographic regions are impacted? Will other products evenutaully be similarly impacted? If one of my products is on the impacted last can I avoid the firmware update by not using the app?

Thanks

Options
Re:Kasa devices and Home Assistant - Integration now broken due to firmware update
2020-11-20 00:59:28

@WirelessForEver 

Cheers all for the efforts on this. 

Late to the game but have HS110's and a KP303 which look to be affected. 

Have sent a mail to support as per the instructions to try get them downgraded

Completely get it from the TPLink side, securing iot devices proactively is awesome and should be applauded but unfortunately the impact of this one has been pretty significant to the home assistant community.  

Definitely agree with @Bartem, an option to accept the risks would work nicely.

Options
2020-11-20 09:18:17

@Brook - this is great news that the change is reversible. Please can you (or other TP-Link person) contact me, I will share the MAC address of my affected plugs and look forward to receiving Home Assistant functionality again. Thank you.

Options
2020-11-20 12:06:33

@Brook 

I received a reply from the UK support people indicating that they were not aware of the problem, or why I was sending them the MAC addresses of my HS100 plugs.

The reply was from Echo.Xie@tp-link.com.

Regards, John

Options
2020-11-21 01:56:29 - last edited 2020-11-21 01:57:18

I too would like the instructions on how to downgrade. I have a KP400 that is no longer working with Home Assistant. Worked fine last week and continues to work from the Kasa app. Please help. I’m in the US if that matters regarding firmware.

Options
2020-11-21 08:41:37

Latest reply from TP Link UK customer support:

Thank you for your feedback.

We are aware that the support of Home assistant is a very useful feature for some customers and our senior engineers are looking into the possible solution.

So I don't think downgrade instructions actually exist yet. But at least someone somewhere in TP Link has recognised the need to work out how to support the non-Kasa community. I'll post here if I get any more info.

Options
2020-11-21 09:47:47

Great! Thanks Andy.

Options
2020-11-21 18:19:21

I'd encourage you all to be a little more incessant that they revert the firmware or provide replacement devices with the previous firmware version.

To me it is totally un-acceptable that a vendor believes they have the right to remove functionality (whether official or not) from a device I own. It’s not like these devices are leased from TP-Link.

I have had my device replaced.

Options
2020-11-21 22:06:07

@drewy when you say replaced, do you mean that you purchased devices from another company that work with Home Assistant? Or do you mean that TP Link replaced them for you with different devices with firmware that works?

Options
2020-11-21 23:48:46

@Jbwooten1 

thought I was pretty clear, but to resolve any misunderstanding. TP-Link UK replaced with new device running the previous firmware version.

Options
Related Articles