Virgin Hub 3 as a Modem with AX3000 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-19 18:50:55
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can advise.

I have a Virgin Router Hub 3, with a 500Mb Connection. The speed when alone was always 450-500 however, the connection was a bit unstable sometimes. I live in a house with a Smart alarm, usual connected Electronics, few Alexa, so I have a fair amount of devices. It seems the Hub3 can not manage much more than 12-14 devices and so it can be a bit volatile.

I was advised to get my own router that can manage more devices and in a smarter fashion.

I purchased the AX3000 (Archer AX50). I have changed the HUB 3 in to Modem Mode and connected accordingly the AX3000. I am getting WiFi around the home and I am not getting any drop outs. I would say I was expecting a great signal strength, than I am getting, but this is fine. I can add a booster.

The bit that concern me and this is wher eI need some advice is the Speed. I have not seen the speed go above 200Mb. Naturally, this worries me and I am trying to understand the reason why. I will return it to the store, if indeed the result of adding it means I lose over half of the speed I am paying for.

Would anyone kind have any ideas that I can try out?

Thank you and appreciate the support.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Virgin Hub 3 as a Modem with AX3000 Router
2020-11-20 03:39:17

@Konrad 

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue to the community.

Please firstly ensure there is no QoS settings for these devices on the AX50, you may login to the AX50 management page on the Tether app and go to Homecare-QoS, please check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

I hope this helps.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer AX55V2 Supports WireGuard VPN, EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, IoT Network, Speed Limit,and More If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-10-14 15:31:52

@Kevin_Z 

I have done whats been suggested and i am too only getting max speeds of 250m/b . even put the Virgin hub back to router to check speed at the hub3 and it was 550, Just so you know this was hard wired and not through WIFI any help would be greatly aprreciated 

regards

DARREN 

Options
2021-10-15 08:04:16

@Theferret 

Please check the QoS settings on the AX50, or you can follow the guide to disable it:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3069/

If this doesn't help, you can also try to reset the router to factory defaults which will clear all settings on the router, then set it up to connect to the internet again. This time, don't change any advanced settings, test the speed to check if it is normal. If this is normal, then you can configure the required settings one by one, test the speed after you made a change, try to find out what settings on the router will cause a speed loss.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer AX55V2 Supports WireGuard VPN, EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, IoT Network, Speed Limit,and More If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-03-04 15:17:47

@Theferret  Did you get anywhere with this ?

Just got my ACX50 - was seeing 80M instead of 350M but that was with Hub3 still as router. When I switched Hub3 to modem mode I had no connectivity at all - there's a ticket raised but I won't get a chance to look at it until the w/e. Suspect there will be a lot of power cycling ...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3915

Replies: 4

Related Articles