AX20 and RE505x OneMesh vs. RE505x in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-21 20:49:34
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200326 rel.63489(5553)

Hello,

I'm seeking some assistance with the setup of two TP-Link products…

Archer AX20

Hardware: v1.20

Firmware: 1.1.0 Build 20200326 rel.63489(5553)

RE505x Extender

Hardware: RE505X v1.0

Firmware: 1.0.8 Build 20200730 Rel. 154345

Context

I purchased an AX20 to route a 100Mbps FTTP connection to WiFi (after purchasing and returning an AX50) for the purpose of utilising the OneMesh system with an RE505x Extender.

Also note, I have read the forum topics regarding 'Planned' OneMesh functionality. On the AU website, AX20 is listed as OneMesh compatible and not 'Planned'. Hence returning the AX50. Refer to attached images below.

Currently I have the RE505x setup as a WiFi Extender which is perfoming well in itself well however I would like to avoid having to use two networks – '_EXT' – and the delays it causes for Roaming devices.

Uses

General Home WiFi network with smart devices, Google Home etc

Home office two people, one utilising heavily for Cloud based file storage/transfer, the other Zoom/Teams/Meet calls.

4K Streaming x2 TVs

PS4/PS5Gaming

Roaming devices

Questions

1. Is the AX20 in fact OneMesh compatible (as your website states) with RE505x?

Currently GUI states 'The curent host router does not support OneMesh', however link to 'OneMesh device list', includes AX20 is a OneMesh compatible device...

2. If OneMesh isn't available for AX20, can I use the RE505x in AP mode fed by Ethernet from AX20 to extend the same WiFi network without '_EXT'?

3. If neither of the above are possible, is it better to again return both devices and go for an out of the box Mesh solution like Deco X20? And will this perfom as well in broadcasting the signal as the AX20/AX50?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX20 and RE505x OneMesh vs. RE505x in AP Mode
2020-11-23 09:01:07

@Hutch0 

Hello, thanks for asking.

As mentioned on the Onemesh Compatibility list, the AX20 V1.20 doesn't support Onemesh yet, only v1.0 supports one currently, please wait for the new firmware that will add the support for Onemesh.

You can try to connect the RE505X to the AX20 by Ethernet cable and configure it into an Access Point, configure with the same SSID and security, then you may confirm if that actually helps with the current situation. 

Also, as you mentioned already, if this cannot match your requirements and you do need to the Onemesh urgently, you may contact the reseller to check if they can help with the replacement with the Deco devices, while the price may be different, please check with the reseller directly.

Sorry for any trouble caused and thank you for your understanding.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1000

Replies: 1

Related Articles