M7350 speed limit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M7350 speed limit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M7350 speed limit
M7350 speed limit
2020-11-26 19:00:06 - last edited 2020-11-30 13:19:31
Model: M7350  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 201019 Rel.1077n

Hello,

I'd like to set a speed limit on my TP-Link M7350 mobile Wi-Fi device so that applications get e.g. 1-2 Mbps download/upload speed instead of the 30-50 Mbps provided by the LTE connection.

I have a v5 hardware for the EU region. As far as I can tell, speed limit feature was not available up to and including the penultimate firmware revision, labelled "M7350(EU)_V5_200330". So, I was delighted to see the "Added speed limit function" note in the changelog when I looked up the latest firmware update for the M7350. (info link: https://www.tp-link.com/tr/support/download/m7350/v5/#Firmware)

So, I upgraded to the latest firmware, labelled "M7350(EU)_V5_201019", but to my confusion, I can't find the speed limit settings in the web interface. I don't know whether I'm not looking in the right place, or I misunderstand what the changelog means.

Could someone please confirm that the speed limit feature is indeed implemented in this firmware? A screenshot would be much appreciated; then I will know where to find that elusive speed limit setting.

Thanks for any pointers.

/rainy

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:M7350 speed limit-Solution
2020-11-27 03:40:43 - last edited 2020-11-30 13:19:31

@Rainy 

As far as I know, this can only be achieved on the tpMiFi app, please confirm it.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:M7350 speed limit-Solution
2020-11-27 03:40:43 - last edited 2020-11-30 13:19:31

@Rainy 

As far as I know, this can only be achieved on the tpMiFi app, please confirm it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:M7350 speed limit
2020-11-30 13:26:50

@Kevin_Z Yes, the tpMiFi app is able to set a speed limit on users connected to the Wi-Fi interface. Thank you for the pointer, Kevin. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have a couple of follow-up questions:

Is it possible to set a speed limit on the connection if I connect the M7350 to the computer via the USB port? As far as I can tell, I am only able to set a speed limit on the users who are connected to the M7350 via the Wi-Fi interface. Maybe I am not looking in the right place again.

Some context for the above: I have an ADSL connection which has very low upload speed. I am interested in using a cellular network connection to boost the ADSL uplink. So, I am looking into bonding the computer's wireless NIC (which is connected to the ADSL modem) with the USB NIC (which is the M7350). But I would like to set a speed limit on the USB-connected M7350, because the per-gigabyte rate of the cellular connection is a bit pricey.

If the above is not possible, is there a way to get shell access to the M7350? It seems that the M7350 firmware includes the commonly used `tc` command, so I could use it to set the necessary speed limits.

In connection with this question, which forum is the suitable place to send a feature request for the M7350?

• "Ideas for TP-Link" https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/147
  • "Feature Request" https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/231 → But this forum seems to be for the US region.
  • Or should I post in this thread?

Thanks again for the help.

/rainy

Options
2020-12-01 06:52:00

@Rainy 

Hi, thanks for the details. Yes, you can post your suggestion or feature request in this thread, we will record it into the system, then our developers can evaluate.

As for the speed limit for the USB connected device, I'm afraid it is not supported yet if you cannot find the settings for it on the tpMiFi app.

Options
2020-12-07 19:26:33

@Kevin_Z 

Hello again,

After using the speed limit feature and interface for some days, I thought the following features would be nice additions. As you said in your message, the developers decide if they will incorporate these in a future firmware or not.

1. It would be convenient to be able to set a speed limit on the sum of all connected devices.

The current functionality allows me to set speed limits for every device connected to the M7350 via the Wi-Fi interface. This is a very good feature to have. But I've noticed that, most of the time I just want to put a single limit on the M7350 so that, whether just one device is connected or five devices are connected, the total download speed does not exceed X Mbps and upload speed does not exceed Y Mbps.

2. It would be very useful to be able to set the speed limit when a device is connected via the USB.

Although setting the speed limit on the USB connection appears to be a separate requirement, I think the solution to the first item above, which enables setting a speed limit on the entire connection, would be a solution to this item as well.

3. It would be convenient to be able to use the web interface to set the speed limit.

The mobile app is a nice additional feature. But while I am at the computer, it is simplest to configure the M7350 via the web interface. As far as I can tell, the current web interface does not allow changing the speed limit.

4. It would be useful to have shell access.

If the user needs to configure the M7350 in a way which is not implemented in the web interface, then having shell access could make it possible. If necessary, shell access could be prefaced with a warning like "use at your own risk," and so forth, or maybe the user could waive the warranty on the device to gain shell access.

5. It would be better if the speed setting were accessible via the main menu.

In connection with item 1, if a speed limit setting is implemented which applies to all devices connected to the M7350, it would be extra convenient to be able to access this setting from the top level menu. The current implementation allows setting the speed limit per connected device, therefore the speed limit setting is buried a few levels deep in other settings.

Overall, these are nice-to-have features, I think. But even without these, M7350 has been very useful to me, thanks to the speed limit feature in the last firmware update.

/rainy

Options
2020-12-08 08:03:22

@Rainy 

Thank you very much for all of your valued suggestions on the speed limit feature, I agree with you that these are nice-to-have features on the M7350, we will record all of these on the system, we will remind our developers to have this maybe in the future development if we get similar feedbacks from the customers like you.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2364

Replies: 5

Related Articles