2.4ghz drops signal but 5ghz consistently works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-29 03:19:42
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200416 rel.72485(5553)

I recently purchased an Archer A9 on Amazon. On initial set up everything worked flawlessly. We are consistently pulling 100+ mbps on wifi. However, in recent nights I've noticed that our 2.4 ghz connection is very spotty. Sitting a few feet from the router I can be connected to 5ghz with 100+ mbps and switch to the 2.4 and either have no connection or <5 mbps. The 2.4 ghz light is green on the modem. In using a wifi analyzer app, it seems like the network disappears sporadically (I see the signal as strong and then the next secons it's entirely gone). The same doesn't occur in tghz (signal is strong and consistent). The issue is I have multiple rokus that only connect to 2.4ghz which means the unstable connection will not work.

I've scoured this forum already and seems like it may be a firmware issue....but I have the most up to date firmware. I have played with most settings (changing the channel, channel width, signal power, mode) and nothing seems to help. Open to any suggestions!

Options
3 Reply
Re:2.4ghz drops signal but 5ghz consistently works
2020-11-30 06:25:26

@Benjfish 

Do you mean only the 2.4G is not stable and keep disconnecting on the A9 router? Is the 5GHz stable?

Is the issue that the 2.4G network will just disappear? No device can see it? When it disappear, how about the Wi-Fi LED, is it correctly on? Try to reset the router to factory defaults again and confirm if the issue persists.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-01 01:11:52

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply! Yes, the connection was unstable (5g worked and was stable, 2.4g would drop). Lights are all green on the router and nothing seems to change when the internet is dropping. It doesn't seem like I'm actually losing connection (and devices don't lose the wifi network), but the speed will go from 75 mbps to 2 mbps in an instant. I did a factory reset and the opposite now seems to be occurring. I am ~15 feet away from the router and the 5G signal is topping at ~5 mbps and the 2.4G is pulling 20+ mbps. The speed seems slower than previously but if it's consistently at 20 mbps on the 2.4G channel I can live with it.

Any other adjustments to try?

Options
2020-12-01 06:06:45

@Benjfish 

How about the link speed when it connects to the 5G network? You may check it as the below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

So is the 2.4G connection stable now after the reset? You may also try to modify the 5G parameters, such as wireless channel, channel width (change to 80MHz), wireless security to WPA2-PSK/AES, then reboot the router again.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 933

Replies: 3

Related Articles