TPLink Archer C4000 resets to factory setting after power outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-19 20:24:58
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Recently bought TP Link Archer C4000 for better speed, connectivity, and better configuration options. Router was performing well on these parameters but now noticed that router resets to the factory settings after a power outage.  It happened twice but luckily I was at home both times. First time I had to re-configure completely but next time I had backup to restore. 

Although backup can be restored easily but my main concern is router resetting while I am on holiday when I need uninterrupted internet for my doorbell, cameras and connecting to home network on VPN.

A router that cannot sustain the power outage is totally unreliable and useless for me.

Is there any option to prevent this resetting or is there any option to store my configuration as the factory option e.g. saving that to EPROM.

Options
9 Reply
Re:TPLink Archer C4000 resets to factory setting after power outage
2020-12-19 22:13:25
Restoring to factory defaults every time after power outage is not normal router behavior. You can't store your default configuration in EPROM. Try to hard reset the router and re-configure form scratch, then test and observe if it can sustain the current configuration after power outage. If the issue persists try to contact your local support.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-21 11:05:12
Thanks for the response, Now noticed that this time route got reset to factory default during the scheduled restart in the night. Nb: I have set to restart it daily at 4:00 AM. Is this the normal/reported behavior? My router is still in the return window but trying to solve the issue as a return will be my last option.
Options
2020-12-21 11:18:23 - last edited 2020-12-22 01:38:02

No, it's not a normal/reported behavior. It should just reboot, but not reset to factory defaults. I understand you're trying to do everything you can before RMA the device, but that's just not the normal behavior. Let's hope @Kevin_Z will see the thread and advise on that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-22 00:43:25 - last edited 2020-12-22 00:45:20

@surg 

Ivaylo is correct, it is not a normal/reported behavior if the router restores to the factory settings after a reboot schedule or power outage.

Please check and ensure you are running the latest firmware on the C4000, if it is already on the latest, please contact the reseller to replace it directly since it's still in the return window. If they cannot help with the replacement, contact the local tech support for this.

Options
2020-12-22 11:16:42

@Kevin_Z  Thanks for your response. I have the latest firmware on my Archer Ac4000. I have raised the support ticket with local support and will wait for another week for their resolution, before returning the product to Amazon UK.
However, just wondering, can this issue be related to any of my following configurations:

1) To match my old router network I have changed the router IP from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. 
2) Changed the DHCP range as 192.168.1.2 -- 192.168.1.199
3) Using port forwarding to one on the IP using NAT Forwarding --> Virtual Servers.
4) Using address reservation for about 15 devices.
5) Edited the Name as a friendly name of almost all devices under Basic setting --> Wired Devices and Basic Settings --> Wireless devices.
6) Setup Open VPN. It was one of the reasons for choosing Archer AC4000. Earlier I used to use a separate VPN server running on one of my RaspberryPi.
7) Switched on all protection types under HomeCare --> Antivirus.

8) I have generally 25 to 28 devices connected to the router at a time.

nb: All these settings work very well normally and sustain manual reboots. 

Options
2020-12-22 11:39:43
All these setting are fine and they should not causing the issue in question.
Options
2020-12-23 01:33:28

@surg 

All the settings should not cause the router to reset automatically. It is suggested to replace it with Amazon or with the local RMA office, you may see which one is more convenient for you. Thanks for your patience again.

Options
2021-01-02 22:37:33

@surg 

Firmware Version:  1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel.78773(5553)

Hardware Version:  ArcherC4000 v2.0

On 1/1/2021 I had a similar issue.  I threw the breaker and my UPS kicked in on my computer, server, MODEM, router and printer.  I did not realize the breaker I tossed was for this particular circuit, but the one in the next room.  I shut down the server and computer and  then turned off the UPS, which had the TP Link C4000 attached.  

Later, when I reset the breaker and powered up everything the WiFi and the router were showing the factory settings.  Fortunately I had a back up  of the settings, though not the most current, and put the settings back.

Today, I was a bit more calculated and shut down everything by powering off the components and when I brought the power back up, the settings were retained.

Tonight I will have the router reboot at 3 a.m. to see if I lose the settings.  

If you figure out what the issue is, please let us know.

--Pumbu

Options
2021-01-03 17:46:44

@Pumbu 

Sorry, I have not yet got any solution to this issue however router has not reset in the past week. Still, I am not satisfied, even if it happens rarely.

I was told by TPLink technical support to get the router exchanged from Amazon UK (mine is still in the return window). I am still thinking about whether to return or exchange. Now, after hearing the same problem from you and others I am more inclined to return. nb: I never had this kind of problem with other routers in the past.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1998

Replies: 9