What's the basic router model that has 'advanced' parental controls?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 22:01:23
Model: Archer A2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I want to get a router that will allow me to control my kids internet access to x hours a day throughout the day.

I have an Archer C2 AC750 model.

This has really basic controls and only allows the control of start and end hours.

The control I want is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHwtkMDYEio

On chat, TP Link support told me the A6 or A7 has this control - but not the lower models.

I only need this functionality and nothing else.

On Amazon, I asked my question for this model: TL-WR940N.

Other customers said: YES, this model has what I need!

I'm confused. This wasn't mentioned by support on TP Link chat.

ASIDE: what will the more advance models give me that I might be aware of that I should have?

Something that would mak my life better 🙂 

(Currently the internet connection i have will drop at least 1-2 times a day. I reconnect and all is OK. 2 times every 3 days on average, I will have putage for 5-10 minutes - furstrating. But... I have learned to live with!)

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:What's the basic router model that has 'advanced' parental controls?
2020-12-29 02:00:42

@enginestarter 

Yes, TL-WR940N could give you the Parental Control settings which is similar to the settings on the Archer C2, that might be the reason why the chat support gives you other options.

As far as I can tell, we may suggest you choose the dual-band 802.11AC models, such as Archer A7, it will give you a stable connection for both 2.4G and 5G.

If budget is not an issue either, you can also choose the latest 802.11AX models, such as Archer AX10 and AX20, these models support Wi-Fi 6, while you need to ensure your wireless cards and adapters can also support Wi-Fi 6, then you can get a better speed.

Options
2020-12-29 02:42:27

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply

"Yes, TL-WR940N could give you the Parental Control settings which is similar to the settings on the Archer C2,"

No no... Archer C2 settings are pants - designed in the 1980's by the looks of it!

I definitely don't want that!

TL-WR940N vs Archer A7...

If you say Archer A7 is superior and will give better trouble free service... then I'll be happy to buy.

My thinking was TL-WR940N does what I need for parental access control - amazon customers have said that I can give a 2 hour usage limit in a 10 hour range in the day for example. This is what I need.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-29 06:03:30
Options
2020-12-29 16:37:55 - last edited 2020-12-29 16:45:35

@Kevin_Z Thanks. That's really helped my buying.

I've looked at the options in the FAQS and there is no time control in a range of time (for example limit 2 hours usage from 9am to 9pm for example).

On my other thread, I mentioned these models for modem routers:

TD-W9970

Archer VR400

Archer VR600 V3

Can you tell me if these have the 'advanced' time controls that I want?

EDIT: I have just looked at manuals for the modem routers. They all have ONLY basic controls. 😕 

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds crazy, but I giess I have to buy the A7 and use as an access point instead??

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 227

Replies: 4

Related Articles