How do I share Android hotspot on Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-04 15:50:10
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hi,

I have an Archer C7 v4 installed on my boat. Connected to the C7 is a PC and Synology NAS via ethernet, and a Samsung smart TV and other Android phones wirelessly. There's also an SSD drive attached via usb. The NAS, for example, serves Plex to the TV, and the SSD serves music to the phones.

My only means of connecting to the internet is via my Android phone so in order to use all the features of the router I use an additional tplink Nano (WR802N v3, FW 3.16.9 build 160801). This connects to the Android hotspot wirelessly, and is then connected to the C7 via ethernet. I've been running this setup for the last couple of years after talking to tech support who told me there is no setting within the router to achieve the above requirements.

Is this still the only way of supplying internet to the C7? Is it possible to ditch the Nano? I've just been reading about Gargoyle, is this an option?

TIA

Options
2 Reply
Re:How do I share Android hotspot on Archer C7
2021-01-05 07:59:43

@followtheboat 

Hello, I'm afraid the WR802N is still necessary for the internet connection between the phone hotspot and the C7.

Options
Re:How do I share Android hotspot on Archer C7
2021-02-06 16:50:02

@followtheboat 

Now that Android 11 updates are being lined up for more phones there is another option one might consider for connecting a router to the Internet via a phone's Internet connection.

Android 11 adds an "Ethernet tethering" function that should be available on most mid-range and high-end devices. Via a rather inexpensive USB to Ethernet adapter the phone can be directly connected to the WAN/Internet port of the router.

It's not necessarily a simpler setup than the method via Hotspot and wireless repeater, but it does save one wireless transmission of the data.

Of course, if set up like in the picture the duration of the connection is limited by the phone's battery charge. I can't tell if that can be rectified by plugging a powered USB hub in between, as I currently don't have such a device at hand.

By the way, in case anyone who reads this wants to try this by themselves and doesn't already own a compatible USB to Ethernet adapter, then I highly recommend to get one that is based on the "AX88772" chip, because this appears to be the one that is most widely supported by Android devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2548

Replies: 2

Related Articles