Votes

Ethernet Backhaul of Range Extenders

Votes

Ethernet Backhaul of Range Extenders

31 Reply
Re:Ethernet Backhaul of Range Extenders
2021-04-28 11:26:12 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@nsquid 

Was there an issue with the AX21 and RE505X? Can we have more details about the issue, we will try to figure it out?

Options
2021-04-28 11:28:54 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Chozmo This suggestion has been forwarded to the developer to consider, they will evaluate if this can be achieved on the current firmware and hardware.

Options
2021-04-28 20:49:11 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Kevin_Z 

The issue is i'm looking for a good option for mesh with a wired backhaul since my house is wired. Using the range extender is fine, but I would much prefer to have an extender with a wired backhaul in the secondary location. I had an older orbi that did this, but it wasn't keeping up with my gigabit internet on the wired side of things so i've been trying to find a good replacement. If tp-link could add the ability to use a wired backhaul for the range extenders, would be ideal for me and all of the other people here asking for it.

Options
2021-04-29 01:14:54 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@nsquid  Got it. As we replied earlier that this had been forwarded to the developers, however, we cannot provide you an ETA whether or when you will get an update for this firmware. If this will be supported in the future firmware, it will be noted in the firmware release note.

Options
2021-04-29 09:47:04 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Kevin_Z 

My problem is that if I want to use Ethernet Backhaul device with OneMesh I have to buy Deco modules. 1st - I have to sold everything and buy new one
2nd - the router can be mounted on a wall or back of TV, because it has mounting points on the bottom of the device. Deco modules do not have such an option. Deco modules need some furniture to be places and stand in one position only (routers also, but they can be mounted somewhere else - wall, back of TV)
3rd - routers have 5 lan ports total + USB port, while Deco modules have only 2 ports and no USB port.
4th - range extenders are only EXTENDING the signal, they do not amplified it and extenders are not the same as routers. So if we can connect range extender to Ethernet socket on the wall, which Ethernet socket comes from the main router, the signal from the range extender will be much better and when using OneMesh it will be perfect. Also range extenders are smaller than Deco module and do not require any furniture to be placed. It can be used one electrical socket and a 0.2 m cable to be connected to the Ethernet port next to it.
5th - the disadvantage of the range extenders is that there is no LAN So if we can use routers to create OneMesh network it seamless connectivity throughout the house we still can benefit from gigabit LAN ports and USB ports and use TV, STB devices, desktop PC, in some case printers or other devices that might need LAN port to be connected on the network.

I am currently using Archer 6 CU (Wi-Fi 6) and if I could used OneMesh properly I definitely would buy AX routers and/or extenders and benefit from the strong signal and speed and OneMesh network - because it cheaper than AX Deco modules. I can show price comparison in my country. But at the moment I am waiting to see that changes can be done in R&D department for the firmware part and what devices will support Ethernet Backhaul and OneMesh. Unfortunately to this day the most reliable way is cables! No matter what router you buy, the cable is cable :) I am "for" with 2 hand everything to be wireless but some old devices like TV require a cable connection. Also new devices cost money if you want to upgrade to more reliable and modern technology. I do not want to mention switches because you need more electrical sockets and that's not a solution to more LAN ports.

Thank you for your attention!

Options
2021-04-30 05:52:11 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Chozmo 

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and info. As responded earlier, the developers are made aware of this kind of requests, they will evaluate the feasibility and possibility to add the Ethernet backhaul for the Onemesh devices.

Options
2021-05-03 19:51:05 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Kevin_Z 

I am very disappointed in tplink, I had just bought the AX73 and 5 605x extenders for creating a whole house mesh. I set up the first one and couldn't see anyway to set up onemesh with ethernet  backhaul. 

Unfortunately my fears came true and now I find out such a basic feature is not possible.

My current system was all wired backhaul with various tplink products. It was time for a whole system upgrade and without even thinking I went for tplink as I have had good experience with them up till now. 

So now I have decided to return all the products and as much as it pains me had to write a bad review for these products and will be having to move away from tplink. 

Make sure your devs know that their refusal to activate a simple highly request feature is costing them sales, even from longtime loyal customers like me. 

Options
2021-07-08 15:13:25 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

I would like ethernet backhaul functionality as well

Options
2021-07-21 11:34:17 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

I would like ethernet backhaul for one mesh supported router and RE305.

I use C80 and RE305,

I choose RE305 because it has an ethernet port, so I think it may supports the ethernet backhaul. But actually it is not supported.

I know the one mesh is a software based mesh solution, not native mesh solution like as DECO, or zenwifi of ASUS.

But ASUS also provides the ethernet backhaul on its software base mesh solution: AI mesh, and allow the old router to update firmware to support this it.

So I really expect the TP-LINK can improve one-mesh compatibility to suit more situation.

By the way, the network solution of TP-LINK and ASUS, I both used even. Maybe I consider to use ASUS in the next time.

Options
2021-09-07 08:05:56 - last edited 2022-10-27 08:23:56

@Mone741120  @BBarnes1 

Thank you all for the suggestion. This request had been forwarded to the dev team for consideration.

Options

Voters 29

+ 25 Voters