TP-Link Utility for Windows 10 stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Utility for Windows 10 stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:TP-Link Utility for Windows 10 stopped working
2021-01-14 11:44:53
Thanks for that Jonathan - I had (rather stupidly it would appear in hindsight) updated all of the firmware on my three devices. I will now try and roll them back to a previous version and see if that helps the stability. The irony is that I have a cheap and cheerful netgear wifi extender in one room which just sits there quietly and does its job while its' more expensive (and admittedly much faster, when they work) TP Link cousins need constant attention and even then drop connection at least a couple of times per day.
Options
2021-01-14 13:10:01

I uninstalled the utility and then downloaded and installed the version dated 2020-11-27.

I had to select refresh as it said no devices attached and then it found them.

Only thing is I had named them all so I knew which room each was in but it has renamed them to device-XXXX so guess I will have to work out which is which and rename them again.

But the utility is now working again.

Bill

Options
2021-01-14 13:35:25

@BillyMac Aha, yes, I didn't spot the newer version as it had Mac and Linux in the list of operating systems. Now done, and yes, it works again.

BUT...

Defender Antivirus doesn't like it at all.

Do I either have to be naughty and install it on my work laptop, but have the ability to manage the extenders again, or I have to forego the managing of the extenders to keep my laptop 'clean'.

Options
2021-01-14 13:43:11

@JabeSmith 

When I installed it, a pop up appeared warning me about installing it but I just ignored it.

I think it was a warning from windows but cannot remember.

Options
2021-01-14 14:40:10

@BillyMac 

This is exactly what I did with the 2020-11-27 version and it still wont find my devices. I might remove and install again and see what happens.

Options
2021-01-14 20:54:29

@sfarkas 

I had to hit refresh and it found them but it is not the quickest at finding them.

Options
Re:TP-Link Utility for Windows 10 stopped working-Solution
2021-01-18 03:15:19 - last edited 2021-01-18 05:06:16

Hi,  All,

Thank very much for your feedback.

For the PLC utility issue with the windows flash, please try to update the powerline utility to the latest version:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201127/tpPLC%20Utility.zip

after that, if there is any further issue, please feel free to update it here.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-20 10:52:18

@BillyMac 

So I managed to get the latest version of the app to find my devices, BUT only if I connect via ethernet. If I connect to one of the devices wifi signal, I have internet but the app then refuses to find the devices. As the laptop I use isn't usually near one of the ethernet devices, this is still an issue for me.

Options
2021-01-20 17:18:50

@TP-Link 

This updated software version solved my issues. Thanks a lot!

However... I only managed to find this thread, and by consequence the newest version, through the help of the community (for which I am very thankful!)
I think every customer would be very happy if one were to update all links for the tpPLC utility on each driver download page? Im saying this because most of those links still refer to the Flash based version.  

Options
2021-01-22 19:16:04

@JabeSmith I have exact the same problem! What can I do?

Options