Cannot setup RE505x

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot setup RE505x

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Cannot setup RE505x
Cannot setup RE505x
2021-03-15 21:35:28 - last edited 2021-03-25 03:13:26
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I just bought a RE505X range extender. Downloaded the tether app and followed instructions for setup, but no matter what I try the app won't recognize my home wifi. The range extender cannot connect to the wifi no matter what I try. 

please help!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Cannot setup RE505x
2021-03-22 22:27:02

@bennys BUMP - I am in the exact same situation. Someone please help!

Options
2021-03-23 07:50:08 - last edited 2021-03-25 03:13:26

@bennys Hi Bennys, 

Sorry for the late update. 

1>Please verfify your Wi-Fi password by forgeting your Wifi network on cell phone first :  
Go to Settings-> WiFi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's WiFi name  ->Forget / Delete the network 
Please reconnect to your router wifi and it will ask for a password, will it accept your router password?

2> factory reset tp-link range extender : press the reset hole for 10 secs with RE powered on

On cell phone WIFI settings, connect to Range extender WiFi first ( do not connect to router wifi or and turn off mobile data)

3> follow instructions on Tether app step by step  ( carefully examine the Wi-Fi password you have put in, and it is recommended to create a different SSID/WiFi name for RE )

Here are some set up videos that may help:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re505x/

Options
2021-03-23 19:26:34

@Solla-topee unfortunately I have tried all 3 options several times. Nothing seems to stick. It might work for a few minutes or hours even, but eventually the wifi from the router seems to stop sending a signal to the extender and I can't use it with any of my devices. 

Are there any advanced troubleshooting things we can try besides the standard things you have listed? Because they do not solve anything.

Options
2021-03-24 01:09:27 - last edited 2021-03-24 01:10:31

@bennys Hello, 

Do you mean RE's Internet will work for few mins or hours, WiFi LED lights up after installation but Internet drops again ?

May I know how about the Led Status on RE505X when Internet drops?

Please make sure RE505X firmware is up t odate and here is the latest firmware: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re505x/#Firmware

If RE505X WiFi LEDs are still ON when Internet drops, please turn on the DHCP on range extender like the photo attached:

If RE505X Leds are Off  when Internet drops, put RE very close to main router, and set up a different SSID for RE and see if issue persists.

If still does not help, may I know the Model number of your router? And have a photo of your settings on range extender, thank you~

Options
2021-03-24 03:07:29

@Solla-topee yes, my devices remain on the wifi coming from the RE but the RE does not have a connection to the wifi coming from my router. So my devices cannot access the internet. I have to do the configuration from the beginning if I want it to work, and then it stops working after a few minutes or hours.

all the lights on the RE remain on after configuration and even after it stops working. All 4 lights are always on.

I am not sure how to access the settings you have displayed in the screenshot. Also, I do not know what a DHCP is. I will need further clarification please.

Options
2021-03-25 02:48:21 - last edited 2021-03-25 02:55:30

@bennys Hi Benny, 

You could factory reset RE and login into its Web page to configure RE 's DHCP settings, here is a more detailed instruction to explain how to do that. 

After that, run Quick Set up for range extender and connect RE to Wi-Fi router

What's the solution if my TP-Link range extender can't connect to my router properly? (RE Led On but No Internet)

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2965/

At the same time, we'd like to follow up your case via email with subject 【Forum ID 257332】 in case you need any further help.Please check your inbox later~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 891

Replies: 6

Related Articles