Sniff all packets (or atleast WIFI packets)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-23 03:33:02 - last edited 2021-03-25 05:55:41
Model: Archer VR1600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1

Is there a way I can sniff all packets on my LAN? If not all, at least the wifi packets?

I read somewhere that on some routers you can get them to clone and redirect all packets to a certain IP address. Can I do something like this as I wish to examine the packets on my LAN?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sniff all packets (or atleast WIFI packets)-Solution
2021-03-24 08:30:11 - last edited 2021-03-25 05:55:41

I'm looking at doing some reverse engineering of some smart wifi device protocols.

My phone and smart device are both on the same wifi, and they are communicating somehow but I can't examine the packets in wireshark.

I have wireshark on my PC/laptop but it doesn't get the packets that are going between the phone and smart device (as far as I can tell).

I would like to be able to examine the packets on my PC/laptop using wireshark.

So I was hoping I could get the router to duplicate the packets and send them to my PC/laptop for examination or something to that effect.

EDIT: I found the solution I needed, here is a good tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdV6cVVV-jU

I needed to enable monitor mode in wireshark

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Sniff all packets (or atleast WIFI packets)
2021-03-23 20:00:48

@supagu 

To sniff all packets on your LAN it would be easier to do this from a client PC connected to the switch.

Something like   wireshark   (its free) is used by most people for this type of thing, however it will log EVERYTHING..  Packet sniffing is not user friendly, it can take a long time and practice to master this.

Any specific reason you are looking to do this?   

If you are after more just general stats and overall traffic on your LAN, you might want to look at a product called   GlassWire     -   Its a paid product but is VERY good for network monitoring. 

Options
Re:Sniff all packets (or atleast WIFI packets)-Solution
2021-03-24 08:30:11 - last edited 2021-03-25 05:55:41

I'm looking at doing some reverse engineering of some smart wifi device protocols.

My phone and smart device are both on the same wifi, and they are communicating somehow but I can't examine the packets in wireshark.

I have wireshark on my PC/laptop but it doesn't get the packets that are going between the phone and smart device (as far as I can tell).

I would like to be able to examine the packets on my PC/laptop using wireshark.

So I was hoping I could get the router to duplicate the packets and send them to my PC/laptop for examination or something to that effect.

EDIT: I found the solution I needed, here is a good tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdV6cVVV-jU

I needed to enable monitor mode in wireshark

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1682

Replies: 2

Related Articles