Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

159 Reply
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-06-21 16:29:38 - last edited 2023-06-21 16:37:48

Right now I'm not using DECO's guest network at all anymore, which is quite sad.

My current situation:

* DHCP is done by the router.

* DNS is done by an internal pi.hole in the main network.

* The router forwards all DNS requests to the pi.hole. The pi.hole only gets requests from the router.

I noticed that guests (who are connected to the Deco guest network) could still access devices from the main network.

That means the guest network is not isolated at all. Maybe this has changed with one of the deco updates, I don't know... My deco setup has always been in "Accesspoint mode".

Because of this, the guest network is completely useless, and shouldn't even be named a guest network. It's just a second SSID that can be used to connect to the exact same network.

So now I'm using my router's guest wifi for the guest network. Of course, with less coverage than the mesh system. But at least it's isolated.

After waiting several years, I don't think we'll ever get a solution, even though the amount of complaining users is more than enough to consider it.

@TP-Admin @TP-Link  it would be nice to at least have a clear response though...

Options
2023-06-21 18:33:36

@BenVA with my deco M4's the guest network is correctly isolated and that's why it can't access my Adguard DNS server. Therefore, an easy fix for me would be to be able to configure other DNS settings for the guest network.

Options
2023-06-21 18:57:57 - last edited 2023-06-21 18:58:14

@BenVA 

When the Deco is in AP mode, for some stupid reason it doesn't tag the outbound guest traffic with the guest VLAN. Guests are isolated within the Deco itself (can't reach another wireless client) but out the LAN port... yeah, that isolation is lost. It's SUPER stupid. There is a feature request to fix this -> https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/546942

Options
2023-07-18 16:01:21
@TP_LINK +1 to this request I have just 'upgraded' to a Deco TPX73-DSL only to find that it cannot allow the Guest Network to access the internet as I am using a PiHole as my DNS. This is a real blocker for me and I am now in the position of having to consider removing the Deco units. Please reconsider the request to allow separate DNS settings for the Guest Network
Options
2023-07-18 20:34:14

It's 2023 and I can't let my pihole include my guest network with tp-link? Ridiculous.

Options
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-07-25 17:48:17
Guest network is broken when using only pihole on primary network.
Options
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-08-04 11:01:06
this is a must-have and standard for other brands...
Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-08-04 12:00:59
Who accepted this solution, it is not acceptable, it doesn’t work properly.
Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2023-08-04 21:01:50

@GeorgeBark my suggestion is to do what I did. Get rid of your TP Link Router and buy an ASUS one. All my problems went away.

Options
2023-08-14 23:55:24

@TP-Link count me in. This is absolutely needed 

Options

Voters 94

+ 90 Voters