[Solution] Archer VR2100 Auto Reboot issue

[Solution] Archer VR2100 Auto Reboot issue

78 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Archer VR2100 Auto Reboot issue
2021-07-19 09:47:01

@Kevin_Z I tried this fix today and my VR2100 still reboots randomly.

Also the VR2100 (new last week) doesn't display my Mesh network which is (should now be) set up. I had to download Beta software for my (many, some brand new) TP8631P units to allow them to see the VR2100. FYI I also have one RE605X on the Mesh. I had all of the PowerLine and RE605X devices set up fine, and now, yet again, the VR2100 doesn't display the mesh (and still reboots). Well, at least it doesn't display the Mesh all of the time. It does on the odd occasion after a reboot, then loses it. 

Apparently some of your (UK support) colleagues are looking into (at least some of) my problems. There seem to be so many problems from, pretty much, all of your equipment.

Has anyone actually QA'd these devices? They really don't seem to be fit for purpose. Most of my TP-Link devices appear to have Beta software installed which can't be right for mainstream devices.

Options
2021-07-19 12:31:06

@Kevin_Z  update on latest beta software (Build 210623 Rel.53973n) on the VR600 is good - I've been running since 13th 11:30BST now which is 6 days without reboot. For 4 days this was just standalone plugged into LAN port of another router (in bridge mode) but now since a couple of days ago I switched all the home devices back on the VR600. This does appear stable now but will continue to monitor and will update.

Options
2021-07-19 21:39:53 - last edited 2021-07-19 21:41:52

@AntonyM what's the difference between the 600 and the 1200? My 1200 is rubbish! Giving it a couple more days before retrurning it and all of the PowerLine and Extender devices I've bought....TP-Link, you should be ashamed of the poor quality of goods you've sent me!

Options
2021-07-20 13:58:23

@Kevin_Z I have upgraded my VR2100 to Build 210619 firmware and my random reboots have gone! I was getting at least one, sometimes up to three reboots per day and now my router has been up for three days with no problems. Incidentally, everything else looks OK, I saw that someone who upgraded had an issue with OneMesh not appearin. I have an RE300 and it displys and functions correctly. On advice, before installing the upgrade, I did a factory reset. Thanks for that fix, is there any news on when it will be released to market?

BR Steve.

Options
2021-07-20 22:30:03

@AllanB I believe that the firmware has fixed the issue with my VR2100. Following the advice of @AnthonyM I did a factory reset before installing the firmware. It appears to have made a difference on his 600 device. Perhaps it is worth you giving the beta firmware another chance by re-installing it following a factory reset. Note although I backed up my config before the install, I didn't restore it in case it caused an issue so, despite it being a pain (DHCP reservations etc.), I reconfigured everything manually and it has fixed my reboot problem. Good luck, Steve.

Options
2021-07-21 06:49:59

@Steve_A on your recommendation, I've just reset to factory and installed (again) the latest Beta that the support team sent me and reinstalled all of my customizations. Let's see how long it stays online this time.

To be honest it shouldn't be this painful....and I'm disappointed in how unreliable this device is. If this reset process does work, then the fact that the device isn't setup to deal with these types of situations, and the fact that we're all still on BETA software remains unacceptable.

FYI, I had to install BETA software on their PowerLine WiFi repeaters as they wouldn't initially mesh to the VR2100.

TP-Link, thus far, has been a big fail on quality.

Options
2021-07-23 16:01:50 - last edited 2021-07-23 16:02:09

@Steve_A Unfortunately this and everything else doesn't work. I still have a) Frequent reboots on VR2100 and b) No Mesh (or random displays) shown or seen on VR2100

The support organisation is sending me a modem with a serial port so that we can monitor what happens before a reboot.

A few observations and more information on problems so far.....

1) I've had three version downloads in the one week of ownership. The fact that there are so many 'beta' copies being issued by TP-Link is indicaiton of the poor quality of the product in general, so its not just me.....!

2) The fact that the log output gets reset every time the VR2100 reboots is (IMHO) unacceptable. Log-files should retain details from before reboot, and there should be a mechism in the (as per all other logs that I've seen) be a first in-first cleared if one runs out of cache.... 

3) I can't connect the VR2100 to a remote log server (f/e Syslog). That feature doesn't work. That would have been useful to retain logfile information!

4) The modem Speed Test information is incorrect and the SPEEDTEST function doesn't work, or at least can't measure the speed of my line...shows '0.something' whereas I have megabits. The true speed (however) is reflected on the advanced status page...correctly.

4) Can't say whether Mesh really works because the VR2100 doesn't (seem to consistently) support it. At the moment it says I have 0 mesh devices on my network. In fact I have 6.

Question to all who're reading this...does anyone have a functioning VR2100?

Options
2021-07-23 18:19:19

@AllanB Hi Allan, that is disappointing to say the least. To answer your question, I now have a functioning VR2100, however, I am not really comfortable that I am running Beta firmware and my setup is not as complicated as yours; I only have one RE300 mesh device. It was lack of a syslog feature which was one of the main issues I had, this would compensate for the log file being lost; the SNMP agent was of no practical use. My difficulties were compounded by a flaky copper connection from the cabinet which was so bad that it masked the shortcomings of the VR2100. With the internet dropping it was sometimes not possible to log in to the web interface even when using the ip address rather than the DNS. I believe there are telnet and ssh connections available but there is no login information available that I could find. I completely agree with your points 2) and 3).

It is good that you will receive diagnostic hardware but it must be very frustrating for you. (I was toying with the idea of cutting my losses and going Netgear or other but it seems for you that option would involve a lot of cash) Good luck and here's hoping for a solution to your issues.

Options
2021-07-28 09:30:51

@Steve_A (fortunately) the diagnostics hardware showed the same symptoms, so it's not just my unit.

Beyond the reboot problem there are still the problems with

1) The speedtest facility and on-page display doesn't work.

2) The (remote) logfile facility doesn't work. I've tried to get that to work with Syslog...nothing! 

3) The mesh facility (or at least the VR210's part of it) is 'flaky' to say the least.

4) The router only mode doesn't seem to work (at the moment)

Of course everything is still Beta which (as you and I agree) is not acceptable for a production device in commercial or home environments.

Summary, not a device to be recommended under ANY circumstances at the moment and I have to therefore question the quality of all of TP-Link's products. Remember that I also (now) have Beta software on my WPA-8631P devices that had to be installed, to allow the VR2100 to see them in its Mesh.

Yeesh!

Options
2021-07-30 08:49:00

@Kevin_Z 

VR2100 V1 - running in bridge mode, even after upgrading to the beta firmware, reboots are down to about 2 every week, better from 2 a day.

My Hardware was purchased  back in Aug 2020 and im currently based UK, West Sussex and ISP provider BT

thank you

Options