Deco choosing channels that are not optimal and it still will after restart. What can I do?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco choosing channels that are not optimal and it still will after restart. What can I do?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-30 12:24:47 - last edited 2021-04-30 12:26:19
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20210205 Rel. 36338

My Deco is choosing channels that are not optimal. And even after I restart the Decos they still communicate over a channel that has the very most traffic and interference.
What can I do about that?

Here some screens of WiFi Analyzer. My network is SUYLR13 2,4 Ghz Channel 13, 5 Ghz Channel 36.

Many greetings,
Sven 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco choosing channels that are not optimal and it still will after restart. What can I do?
2021-05-07 03:10:11

@DarthSonic 

Hi, I am afraid that Deco does not support changing wireless channel yet;

Did you notice any specific issue when 2.4ghz is on channel 13 and 5ghz is on channel 36?

As for the 5ghz, band 2+3(channel 52-136), they are DFS channels and normally they would not be opened for normal users in some places;

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Deco choosing channels that are not optimal and it still will after restart. What can I do?
2021-05-07 06:24:57

@TP-Link 

I have slow speed on the network. Before had a repeater that used channel up to 128. And I got around 200 Mbit on 2,4 amd 500Mbit on 5. now I can see speeds up to 60/150 only. 

Options
2021-05-08 06:37:53

@DarthSonic 

Hi, I noticed that there is a new firmware, and would you mind updating the firmware to be the latest:

Deco X20(EU)_V2_1.0.5_210330

As for the speed, did you mean before using the Deco, the wireless speed for 2.4ghz is up to 200m/s, 5ghz 500m/s on the old ISP router?

How about the Ethernet speed from Deco and would it also be slow as a wireless connection?

And if the new firmware did not improve the current issue, could you please help me collect some details:

--the speedtest results for 5ghz only;

---a picture of the Deco network topology;

---the information of your PC’s network adapter(used for the speedtest) : (For Windows PC only)

1. Press WIN+R on the keyboard, type in “cmd” and enter, you will see a small black window.
  2. In the small black window, type in “ipconfig /all” and press enter, the information of your network adapters will be printed.
  3. Please copy the whole content of this window while contacting us, this information would be more helpful when troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-10 07:56:56 - last edited 2021-05-10 07:58:49

@TP-Link I installed the firmware with no success. Still the most used channels are chosen.

My speedtest were done with two AVM dualband repeaters before. They were a lot faster but had other problems.

Meanwhile I have removed one of the three decos and connected the two remaining by ethernat (backhaul) to get high network speed. That worked even it was a lot of work to lay the cable across the floors and through several doors. That work's so far.

BUT: I still have problem with the channels. Still the main deco is choosing the moset used channels. But I analyzed that further and found some things out:

1.) 2.4 Ghz devices are connection to the wrong deco. Instead to connect to the nearest, they are all connection to the main deco. 

2.) Channel interferences on 2nd floor (Main Deco) are a lot lesser than on 1st floor (Satellite Deco).

3.) It seems Main Deco is choosing channels based only on its own stats and it's not looking for channels used in the range of the satellite decos.

So I think Main Deco should always look for used channels in the whole network, not only on its own range! That would be the solution for 2.) and 3.). For 1.) I have no solution yet and no explanation so far. So my question is how to solve that? 

And another question is, how to optimize channel selection without waiting for a new firmware release somewhere in the future? Could I solve that by placing the Main Deco on the 1st floor and the Satellite Deco on 2nd floor? Router will be still on 2nd floor. I can not move it! And if that could be the solution: How should I wire them? Is the following possible:

My Router has an integrated switch. So can I connect Satellite Deco & Main Deco to the Router by wire without connection the Decos directly? Will the ethernet backhaul still work then? An will the internet connection still be routed over the same ethernet port? Currently one port is used for internet and one for backhaul at the Main Deco.

Regards,

Sven

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 4