Issue with old and new powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-09 16:57:54

Hello,

I've got a TP-LINK TL-PA2030KIT 200Mbps Powerline Adapter that I ordered back in 2015 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FEDTWJI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). No longer available to buy.

I've got one of these plugged directly into the router via ethernet cable, as shown below:

I've then got another one upstairs which is connected into an Ethernet cable to a laptop, all working fine. 

Today I've bought another one, as I wanted to connect it up to another PC in another room via Ethernet. It's a newer version, as shown below:

Whatever I do, I can't get it to work. Now I do have the Tether App and hooked this up to it, but actually the older system isn't showing on this under 'My Devices', but it just works. Can someone help me get this set-up? Or is it a case of having to buy a whole new system? 

Thanks! 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Issue with old and new powerline adapters
2021-05-10 16:10:37

Anyone?

Options
2021-05-11 05:58:10 - last edited 2021-05-11 06:02:36

@TimWillis Hello, 

The new device you purchased looks like a range extender, which is different kind of product from your old power line extender. 

Range extender normally connects to AP/ router by Wi-Fi or Ethernet , power line units are paired through powerline in your house. 

It is recommended to change your Range extender to a powerline extender like model WPA4220/ AV600

Note: all the powerline devices should work in same power circuit / under the same power , so the room upstairs should be in the same powerline to use a new powerline unit

Options
2021-05-15 12:59:04

@TimWillis Thanks for posting ths. im in a similar situation and looking for a compatibility list. I have an existing set of power line adapters which i need to extend. Would happily have bought more of the same but cant find so presume they are obsolete. Next best thing is to extend the existing network with compatible products but cant find any reference to this in product pages of current offerings. I'd prefer this both to avoid the unnecessary wast of discarding the current devices but also to avoid the trap of having to consider alternate manufactures: I'm a maximizer- it will take me far too long to consider all the options when i just need to get another room better connected.

Id be most grateful if you could post here any comparability info or links you find.

Im new to this board so will continue to dive into these threads in case the same question has been raised and answered already.

Options
2021-05-15 13:31:13
I found this link in an other thread. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630p/#overview However have spotted mine (model TL-PA411(UK)) are labled as "AV500" which i now learn is the basic industry standard so will work with many / any other manufacturars... have a look at this page the intro paragraphs summarise the standards and suggest what to look for. https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/powerline-networking/1407419/best-powerline-adapter So find muself about to fall into a familuare Maxinisers rabbit hole! Aaaaaaaaaaa. Im giving myself 13 min to decide and 10 more to decide where to buy them :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 895

Replies: 4

Related Articles