Creating a new mesh network using range extenders connected via ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-24 20:00:51

We are currently renovating a property and one thing we are having is a mix of ethernet and wifi throughout the property.

The property itself is on four floors and the DSL will be in the basement. As a consequence the wifi on its own will not reach the top floor.

So, my intention is to create a network accordingly, where the computers will be connected via Cat6 ethernet, but also have a mesh wifi throughout the property for tablets and phones.

So, this is the current configuration that is currently in the process of being fitted.

Bottom floor. DSL incoming from outside with the standard Wifi router.

Cat 6 to a multiport switch next to it, which will feed all cat6 sockets throughout.

Now the interesting bit. 

5 Range extenders, with Mesh capability, are placed on each floor, with connections via Cat6 ethernet back to the switch, and then feeding a Mesh network throughout the property for seamless wifi whilst you go up and down the property. 

Now, can this be done? Can you have the same wifi network name as the DSL router from which ever ISP when the range extenders are connected via the switch? 

Does the DSL router have to be from the same make (TPlink) and forget the DSL router from the ISP supplier?

In effect what I am wanting is the range extenders to be an access point rather that just a range extender, basically what mesh should do, especially as for maximising signal, I am going for five of the plug in types that TPlink provide. The RE450 unit is the one I am thinking of for this purpose. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Creating a new mesh network using range extenders connected via ethernet
2021-05-25 12:28:49 - last edited 2021-05-25 12:30:03

@Offertonhatter Good day, 

Thank you for being interested in tp-link products.

OneMesh RE should work with a tp-link OneMesh router,  unfortunately RE does not support Mesh in AP mode yet, it supports OneMesh only in RE mode. 

Onemesh Compatibility list 

For creating a Mesh network in the property, you could consider Deco mesh system and refer to the 3rd topology in the FAQ below: 

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/

Topology: DSL Modem --- Main Router --- Switch  ---<Ethernet> 5* Decos  to each floor  (Decos are wired to switch via Ethernet cable and work in AP Mode )

In the obove topology, Decos (work in AP mode)could build a Mesh network for seamless Wi-Fi in your house. 

Options
2021-06-01 08:37:18

@Solla-topee 

similar question:

I have router TP-link AC2300 with OneMesh built-in. I want to extend wifi using OneMesh from router to second floor, using an installed ethernet cable from router up to the second floor.

AC2300 OneMesh -----> ethernet ------> Rangeextender

Which Range extender has a built-in ethernet port so I could use it?

Options
2021-06-02 08:56:42

@Matej-slo 

Nope, the Onemesh range extenders doesn't support Ethernet backhaul, it can only connect to the Onemesh router via wireless. You can also refer to the article below for more details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2690/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 566

Replies: 3

Related Articles