Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-06-22 12:42:41 - last edited 2021-06-22 12:43:19

@Solla-topee I'm facing this issue as well with the TL-WPA8630. At random times, DHCP kicks in and this results in the devices connected to the powerline extender losing their internet connection. Devices connected to the main router don't experience these problems. The main router's interface does show some weird behavior by the TP-link module.

If only we would be able to completely turn off DHCP on these devices...

Options
2021-06-23 21:24:30

@Solla-topee I have a question about Smart DHCP. 

Do PowerLine WPA devices poll for a DHCP server regularly in order to determine if DHCP is active or not? Or is this a one time check after a power cycle?

If the Powerline WPA devices have an IP address and subnet manually configured, is Smart DHCP still active?

Options
2021-06-24 02:41:36

@Jvmd  Hello, 

Thank you for reporting the issue, I created a ticket for you to follow up your case via email. Please check your mailbox and help confirm some details , many thanks. 

More cases being escalated to seniors helps expedite the process to locate the cause or the release of  beta firmwares , thank you again for your feedback. 

Options
2021-06-24 06:47:06

@dunxd Hello, 

Wireless PLC unit will regularly poll for DHCP server in the local network, not a just a one time check. 

If you have updated the beta firmware ( Hidden DHCP thread: beta for certain models ), manually setting up static means smart DHCP is off.

Options
2021-07-25 14:00:23 - last edited 2021-07-25 14:01:08

@Solla-topee that's a thread I started 😀

The beta firmware doesn't support the two  WPA8630P-UK which I am running. Any idea when that will be ready?

Why did TP-Link elect to have a DHCP server come on in the (supposed) absence of one on the network? Why not just use Link Local Addresses (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address) with auto configuration (APIPA)? That has been around forever, is supported by almost every client device out there, and doesn't break existing networks.

Options
2021-07-25 16:06:30

@dunxd I am running two WPA8631P-UK alongside one WPA8630P-UK.

The beta firmware update and allocating static IP addresses to the two WPA8631P-UK plugs has made no difference.

I'm still waiting on the 'seniors' to respond following updating with the beta firmware and running various configurations and wireshark packet captures.

Over the last month, I have submitted details of my network configuration & devices along with two wireshark traces to TP-Link support:

Some relevant details -

1. There have been no reboots nor power outages.
  2. All other devices connected to the router remain working ok when the WPA8631P attached devices lose internet access.
  3. Both units still have all their LEDs on.
  4. The router is a THG3000G Technicolor provided by the ISP, however, I tried replacing this with a TP-Link Archer AC1900 Modem/Router VR900 V2 and experienced the same problem.
    ISP ONT --- Router Archer AC1900 --- PA8010 --- WPA8631 --- 1st Dell desktop
    ISP ONT --- Router Archer AC1900 --- PA8010 --- WPA8630 --- 2nd Dell desktop
    ISP ONT --- Router Archer AC1900 --- PA8010 --- WPA8631 --- Huawei laptop
  5. Devices attached to the powerline unit, are both running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit): Wi-Fi - Huawei Matebook D 14; ethernet - 2xDell Optiplex 9010
  6. TL-WPA8630P-kit (UK) v2, firmware: 2.2.3.32-00_801132_170607_902

I have now run a successful 48 hour test and have the evidence to prove that the TP-Link plugs are causing the network problems by losing access to the internet.

There have been no power nor network outages during this time.

All the devices directly attached to the modem/router (both wifi and ethernet) have had an uninterrupted service.

Only the devices (both wifi and ethernet) connected via the plugs suffer from what appears to be random outages.

Options
2021-07-25 22:54:31

@amcmorland My theory is that brief disconnections on the Powerline link cause the WPAs to fail to detect the active DHCP server, and cause them to switch on their "Smart" DHCP service for a period, during which time havok is wrought.

I'm still not quite sure why DHCP server function is needed in the WPAs. They can't function as a gateway - they aren't routers. If they are DHCP clients, then first time users would be able to use them if their network has DHCP active. If they don't have DHCP active, them presumably they have clients with static addresses, and defaulting the WPAs to use a static IP address would allow further configuration. Or just use local link addressing.

This "Smart" DHCP function seems designed for a very small percentage of use cases, and has guaranteed problems for who knows how many users. How many people are just confused by this undocumented behaviour, and quietly put up with it?

If TP-Link hurried to and figured this out, I'd spend less time speculating what the hell is going on.

Options
2021-07-26 07:57:48

@dunxd I agree with all you have said - especially your analysis and conclusions.

I'm very disappointed with TP-Link's response and will be replacing the powerline devices with a mesh network which I am currently testing.

Options
2021-07-26 10:31:52 - last edited 2021-07-26 10:32:18

@dunxd Thank you for your advice  I will forward your suggestion to our team for further evaluation. It seems that old version tp-link powerline devices has adopted a similar mechanism as Windows APIPA, they do not have a DHCP server and could assign themselves an IP address which is the same as computer's subnet, that design has been waived on new version due to some reason which I have not learned about. 

Options
2021-07-26 10:54:18 - last edited 2021-07-26 10:58:04

@amcmorland @dunxd

New beta firmware has come out for TL-WPA8630P V2, please check my private message or email, later please set up static IP for powerline units and see if helps. 

We will update the beta on the forum soon, still need some modification on the links.  

Options
Related Articles