Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-07-26 14:35:53

@Solla-topee hi, thanks for your reply and further information.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to test the beta firmware as I have removed the TP-Link kit from my network and replaced it with a Wi-Fi mesh system.

I could not afford any further interruptions to my daily work.

Options
Re:[Troubleshooting] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server-Solution
2021-07-28 01:57:32 - last edited 2022-08-22 11:24:24

2022/08update

added more models that released official firmware 

Official firmware that Newly added DHCP server configuration function in firmware released around May- July in 2022.

You can turn off DHCP OFF with the official firmware below 

TL-WPA8631P_V3 

TL-WPA8630P_V2

TL-WPA8630P_V2.1 (V2.1 and V2 are different)
TL-WPA4220_V4  

TL-WPA8635P_V3_FR

TL-WPA8630_V2 (EU/UK)

TL-WPA4220_V5

TL-WPA7510 V2 (US)
TL-WPA7517_V1

TL-WPA7617_V1

Some new models or new version PLC will have DHCP OFF optional  in initial design, refer to device UG for more details.

Note: How to find the hardware version or country version on a TP-Link device?

Verify the country version EU/US/UK etc. and hardware version of your powerline extender as per the device sticker first,then download and install the official firmware

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021/8/12: Old Beta

Here are the beta firmware to disable the Smart DHCP by setting up a static IP, please update and install it on your powerline extender if you experience an issue and require to disable the Smart DHCP, report back if it helps, which will help with the future design. If your model is not listed or the issue persists, please help confirm the detailed information requested above.

Beta Note:  please avoid powering off or unplug PLC while testing this beta firmware (after setting up static IP ),  or DHCP may start again

TL-WPA4220_V3,  TL-WPA7510_V2

EU version:

TL-WPA4220_V3https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201224/Tl-WPA4220_V3(EU).zip

TL-WPA7510_V2: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202012/20201224/TL-WPA7510_V2.zip

US version:

TL-WPA4220_V3https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202101/20210104/TL-WPA4220V3_beta.zip

Note: Verify the country code and hardware version of your powerline exender as per the device sticker first, then download and install the correct file.

After updating the beta firmware, please refer to the following suggestion to set up static IP address:

1. Manually configure the IP address on the powerline extender so you can login web page using the IP address after DHCP is OFF.

Connect to the powerline extender wirelessly. Visit http://tplinkplc.net, and log in with the username and password you set for the extender. Go to Device Settings > LAN Settings and choose static IP address.

2. Turn DHCP Server OFF (make sure your device that has updated to the latest official firmware)

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-29 12:14:53

@Solla-topee  Good Morning.

It's a joke?:

After so many years using your products, I finally had to register.

I've been regretting changing my main router, a TD-W8980, for a few years since I installed it, configured it, and forgot about it. And then install as a wi-fi repeater. Like the TL-PA4020 PLCs that permanently replaced it, along with the TL-WPA8630P that I acquired years ago to complete my lan network. I've been thinking for a long time about the possibility that when the time comes to update my devices, I will purchase a high-end router or even business devices from TP-Link. But after following this case I'm not so sure anymore.

Ignoring that enabling a DHCP on a network, without any mechanism to disable it, seems reckless to me to say the least and that assigning the static IP address does not solve the problem (I have always had it like this), the latest firmware is dated 2017 !!!, And the only thing you have been able to get in all this time is a beta one that not even loads well and changes the password of the device? How much time have I wasted installing OpenWRT and unofficial firmwares that didn't fix the problem, and now more time wasted with the manufacturer? It's amazing guys !!! Keep going.  I'm going to reset the plc ... again

Options
Re:[Solution] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-07-29 12:52:21

Device reset and configured with a static ip (as always, minus the mac table, I'm afraid to load anything).

To whoever happens the same as me when re-recording the beta firmware, resetting the device resets the admin password to the default "admin", the user does not appear in the login screen, nor does he have the option to create a new one.

But what has impressed me:

no sign of the option to disable it, and it keeps getting up when it feels like it.

We'll see tonight how many times I have to get up while watching a family movie. Let's see if we're lucky and we don't end up getting bored by interruptions and go to sleep.

Options
2021-07-30 02:03:28 - last edited 2021-07-30 02:09:36

@Zoltar74 Thank you for your feedback on the Beta, the beta will disable the DHCP server after setting up a static IP on powerline unit.

Does the 'DHCP started' log appear after you have set up static IP ? If so, please share with us  a photo of the static IP on the powerline unit and the IP or subnet of router, thank you.  Please check my private message PC internet problem.

Options
2021-08-01 09:50:41 - last edited 2021-08-01 10:19:58

Hello @Solla-topee
Are you questioning what I say? I have read all your posts, including the one about the internet access problem. The one who I think you have not read the requests of your clients is you. The screenshots that I have attached previously, but it is not shown because I deleted the data, you already have an updated one in case you don't believe me, are with the static ip configured in TL-WPA8630P, ALWAYS IN STATE LIKE THIS. My TL-WPA8630P has always had the static ip.

The problem with your "smart DHCP" is precisely that, that it serves IPs to the computers with automatic configuration, but not only that, when I configure the devices in my house with a fixed ip and your "Smart DHCP" no detect up mi router, your dhcp configures the TL-WPA8636P as a gateway and DNS although it does not change the static ip leaving them with no internet access.

Your equipment, even after configuring it with a fixed ip, continues to start DHCP as you can see in the previous screenshot, and continues to generate DHCP traffic to my router: .

My subnet is 192.168.76.224/27, all ips are reserved in the dhcp of my router (Asus RT-AC88U), including 192.168.76.249/27 which uses the tl-wpa8630p as static ip. I unistalled our beta firmware:

After so long, what you have to do is implement the option to disable it in the GUI, as it appears in your explanation of how your Smart DHCP works,

and not try to correct the "malfunction" of the service by making serve people of beta testers. By the by, I have been unemployed for a year and a half.

Please, Stop hanging around and implement the option so that users can disable your "Smart DNS", in this model and in the most modern ones where it also seems to fail as I read in the forum.

Options
2021-08-01 10:07:40

@Solla-topee 

sorry, the screenshot shows an ip request from a device connected to the 2.4 wireless network of the TL-WPA8630P. That traffic is correct

Options
2021-08-03 12:48:45 - last edited 2021-08-03 12:59:39

@Zoltar74  Hello, 

As my understanding the beta should turn off the DHCP completely after users set up a static IP on RE. From Log photo it did not perform as we expected and I was trying to confirm you have set up the IP properly, definitely no intention of questioning. I would like to escalate your case to the seniors to look into the issue further, they will follow up your case via email, please check your inbox, thank you. 

The Smart DHCP article uses the RE not Powerline units as the example, maybe we will add a note to clarify.  As you noticed currently Powerline DHCP is still in optimizing stages, I would forward your suggestion to our team to improve the DHCP design.

From the log on router, client still broadcasts a DHCP discover message on the network, and router will offer an IP address looks like: DHCPDiscover-> DHCPOffer-> DHCPRequest-> DHCPAck and get IP from router. 

Options
2021-08-04 15:47:58 - last edited 2021-08-04 21:04:35

Hi,

Today I tried to resolve the internet issues at my elderly neighbors place.

Eventually coming to the conclusion that there was a dhcp/default gateway issue. When statically assigning the IPV4 settings through the control panel of Windows everything was working fine. When letting Windows auto decide the connection details it is instantly marked as a 'limited' connection. Also several other devices such as iPads and iPhones show the same behaviour.

The problem is completely random and when the error occurs the default gateway (found with ipconfig) shows the address of the TP link instead of the main router. Even after setting the IP settings of the TP link itself to static.

The unit is a WPA-8630 (non P) V2 EU. I checked for updates in the GUI, but it stated 2.0.2 was the latest available. In the solution of this topic beta firmware files are available but only for the model. I tried the beta firmware provided here on my unit, and it only gave me an error message of an unsupported update file? Is there also a non P beta firmware available?

The topology is simple enough: Genexis 7840 fiber modem/router (Dutch provider Caiway) -> WPA8630EU.

Thanks.

Options
2021-08-05 09:06:51

@MortuuS  Correct, this is what I was trying to convey in my previous post.

Not only does it assign configuration in the computers with automatic configuration, in addition to those with manual configurations, the output of the ipconfig command shows the ip configured manually but the data of dns, dhcp and gateway show the ip of the wpa8639, so it leaves the device manually configured with no internet connection. This is serious, I had not seen it before.

Options
Related Articles