RE300 in OneMesh -- VERY slow Internet speeds, but high TX rate

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-17 22:16:02
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have an Archer A7 and RE300 in a OneMesh network, home wi-fi. Internet is Spectrum, 400 Mbps.

Internet speeds drop by 60-75% when laptops connect to the RE300, and I'm trying to determine what's happening.

A7 is in living room, RE300 in dining room. According to the Tether app's Location Assistant, the RE300 has "Perfect signal - Your extender is in a great location." So, starting with that, I'm testing with my MacBook Pro in the dining room, about 5 feet from the RE300. (This is where I work at home.)

LAPTOP CONNECTED TO RE300 (as the only client)

• RSSI: -45
  • Noise: -86
  • Tx Rate: 585 Mbps
  • Speedtest results:
    • 40-50 down
    • 21 up

LAPTOP CONNECTED TO A7 (many clients)

• RSSI: -68
  • Noise: -99
  • Tx Rate: 234 Mbps
  • Speedtest results:
    • 130 down
    • 22 up

So when connected to the RE300, even as the only client: the signal & noise are better, Tx rate is over twice as fast -- but the download speed is 60% slower.

Moving my laptop into the living room, closer to the A7, results in download speeds between 300-350 Mbps.

This narrows the problem down to the RE300. But I don't know what to do about it. Firmware is current, white LEDs are all solid, location is great. But for whatever reason, the RE300 is crippling the download speeds.

I'm attaching some screencaps of the results right before posting.

Any help or insight will be appreciated!

B

Options
3 Reply
Re:RE300 in OneMesh -- VERY slow Internet speeds, but high TX rate
2021-06-21 02:31:58

@Bmuse221  Hello, 

The issue could be related to location of RE, for a test, you could put RE on the same vertical level as the MacBook  ( perhaps via power strip )  and make RE face to router within 5 feet from laptop. And see if RE's speed becomes better. 

You could enable High speed mode on RE300 and use 5G to bridge main router and see if speed could become faster. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2479/

If still the same issue, may I have a photo of your house layout including the walls and distance, please note the postions of RE/ Macbook/ Router, thank you. 

Options
2021-10-04 19:08:02

@Bmuse221 

Did you ever figure this out? 

Im having the same issue. 

I have my A6 Router right underneath my desk. RE300 #1 about 15ft line of sight, accept for room door...but I keep it mostly open. Then another 15-20ft, RE300 #2...then 20-25ft in my master bedroom I have RE300 #3

For some weird reason, my laptop decides it wants to connect to my RE300 #1, even though my router is 3ft right below it. And my speeds and not the fastest. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Options
2021-10-09 10:02:33 - last edited 2021-10-09 10:04:01

@noloc45  It is not very recommended to wirelessly connect one extender to another, as performance on the second extender could be poor or unsatisfactory.

Normally we suggested connecting 1-2 extenders to the same wifi  router, and both range extenders directly to the router
Recommended Topology : RE1 )))(( Router )))(( RE2

If you own 3 extenders, for stability, we recommend considering a wired connection. As RE300 does not have an Ethernet port, you could move A6 to closer spot ( extend the Ethernet cable) to RE300#3 and see if that helps. If you want to build a Mesh system, you may also consider Deco Mesh system which supports up to 10 Deco nodes maximum. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2231

Replies: 3