have to rejoin main router after using tp-link.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-20 05:37:06 - last edited 2021-06-21 14:04:14
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A friend has asked me to look into their connection problem next week.

Their problem is.

They have connected by the access point Mode [see attached what they sent me], after the unit was set up everything works fine in the outbuilding, however, on returning to the house all the Wifi connections are lost so they have to turn off the tp-link unit, and re-enter the password to every Wifi unit in the house to connect to the main incoming router. this happens every time they use the outbuilding tp-link unit

I would welcome any advice on the problem before I travel to see them next week.

UPDATE.

I've looked at the user guide and it looks like they have connected to the access point mode and not the multi-ssid mode. Can anyone confirm this?   

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:have to rejoin main router after using tp-link.-Solution
2021-06-21 00:16:36 - last edited 2021-06-21 14:04:14

@pete1 

Hey

OK that makes a bit more sense what they are after now, basically, they want wifi in the hot-tub (wife wanted same, been there)  :)

So in answer to your question, its 100% has to be in Access Point mode

1.  Access Point mode basically turns a cable into a WiFi signal, that simple - This is what they need.  Access Points don't replace your WiFi, rather just allow another node to broadcast WiFi.   I have seen houses with 3 or 4 APs and the BT Hub actively broadcasting

2. Extender Mode -  Just a wifi repeater, not what they are after

3. Client mode  -  For connecting to a wireless network to allow LAN (Cable) devices (like a PC) to use the wifi.  It basically acts a WiFi card

4.  Multi SSID is if you have VLANs setup, basically different networks for Guest / Office / Home / CCTV etc  It allows you to broadcast different networks from one AP.  The BT hub doesn't support VLANs and this is NOT what you are after.

Turn it back to Access Point Mode.    In terms of the SSID and Password, have they logged into the Access Point and set it the same as the BT Hub?   Also make sure the Access Point has DHCP enabled so it gets given an IP address by the hub

In theory, if you set the Access Point to the same SSID and Password as the Hub then when they lose signal to the hub, it should find and connect to the Access Point using the same credentials saved on the device.  I have set this up dozens of times and it does work.  Also check its running WPA2 PSK on both for security, channels shouldn't matter too much

Keep me posted on how you get on

This is basically what you are after here.. it should be do-able

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:have to rejoin main router after using tp-link.
2021-06-20 11:03:42 - last edited 2021-06-20 11:05:48

@pete1 

Hey

Access Point mode is likely what you are after in this setup, I wouldn't change that.  Few questions if you don't mind?

Has your friend set the BT Hub as the same SSID as the Access Point, or are they different? 

Is the AP near the home hub as a wifi replacement or is this to extend the distance to another part of house?

Notice its sitting on a Sky Repeater.. is that also active?  

Are the devices connected 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  

and re-enter the password to every Wifi unit in the house to connect to the main incoming router   can you expand a bit on this?  does it not connect WiFi or does it not have internet?

My gut feeling is this smells of 2.4ghz and all 3 on overlapping channels or too many SSIDs flying around.   Any more info you can provide would help

I live in Ireland but use BT so I know the setup well

Options
2021-06-20 12:40:45 - last edited 2021-06-20 13:54:56

@Philbert Thanks for the reply.

What happens is they have a hot tub in an outbuilding some distance from the house,

they have run a cable from the house to the hot tub building.

If they turn on at the hot tub they lose the Wifi in the house,

the internet Wifi only works in the house if they turn off the tp-link unit,

but have to redo the Wifi password to all the house units.

If you look at the screen capture, I think the access point mode they have used takes over the router to make it wifi.

As I see it the multi-ssid mode is the right mode.

I think that they put the router on the skybox just to take the photo for me to look at.

They were really chuffed to have Wifi at the hot tub building to run the smart TV, Alexa, and phone.

At the moment they have stopped using it because of not being able to use it in the house and hot tub at the same time.

Options
Re:have to rejoin main router after using tp-link.-Solution
2021-06-21 00:16:36 - last edited 2021-06-21 14:04:14

@pete1 

Hey

OK that makes a bit more sense what they are after now, basically, they want wifi in the hot-tub (wife wanted same, been there)  :)

So in answer to your question, its 100% has to be in Access Point mode

1.  Access Point mode basically turns a cable into a WiFi signal, that simple - This is what they need.  Access Points don't replace your WiFi, rather just allow another node to broadcast WiFi.   I have seen houses with 3 or 4 APs and the BT Hub actively broadcasting

2. Extender Mode -  Just a wifi repeater, not what they are after

3. Client mode  -  For connecting to a wireless network to allow LAN (Cable) devices (like a PC) to use the wifi.  It basically acts a WiFi card

4.  Multi SSID is if you have VLANs setup, basically different networks for Guest / Office / Home / CCTV etc  It allows you to broadcast different networks from one AP.  The BT hub doesn't support VLANs and this is NOT what you are after.

Turn it back to Access Point Mode.    In terms of the SSID and Password, have they logged into the Access Point and set it the same as the BT Hub?   Also make sure the Access Point has DHCP enabled so it gets given an IP address by the hub

In theory, if you set the Access Point to the same SSID and Password as the Hub then when they lose signal to the hub, it should find and connect to the Access Point using the same credentials saved on the device.  I have set this up dozens of times and it does work.  Also check its running WPA2 PSK on both for security, channels shouldn't matter too much

Keep me posted on how you get on

This is basically what you are after here.. it should be do-able

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-21 04:13:40

@Philbert You could be right about which access point that they used,

firstly I will check that they haven't used the BT hub one, if they have I will correct it. 

Other than that I will reset the tp-link and start over.

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know the outcome.

Options
2021-06-21 14:00:29 - last edited 2021-06-21 14:02:12

@pete1 Success, I logged into the TP unit without the router connection, not only did they connect to the wrong mode they also used the BT details, see attached screen capture.

I reset the TP unit and started again, up and running within minutes, also everything in the house works OK.

So thank you very much for your input. 

Options
2021-06-22 11:20:07

@Philbert I'm not sure if you saw my last post, a wrong tag on it.

My friend sends thanks for your help.

The hot tub music/TV and the football in the house can both work at the same time thanks to your help, harmony.smiley

Options
2021-06-22 12:07:42

@pete1 

Hey

Just got to see it now, happy days!

Glad your mate got sorted :)

Options
2021-06-22 12:52:49 - last edited 2021-06-22 12:54:02

@Philbert He sure is, the wife can have the hot tub and he and his mates can watch the football in the house.

The one odd thing happening is the TP-link is giving a stronger signal than the BT router to just the kitchen area in the house,

so the phones are picking up the signal and getting notifications of it.

Not a problem though.

Options
2021-06-22 13:57:18

@pete1 

I havent used that specific model yet, but had used it predecessor and Yes the signal was good on them.    Extra signal is never a bad thing!

You may find the device connect to the AP before the HH in most cases, long as it work!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1484

Replies: 9