How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance

How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance

23 Reply
Re:How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance
2022-11-10 08:22:54

Hello there,

I am having kind of a similar issue, with the Extender connecting to the 'wrong' AP.

I have one router MR600, one extender RE200, one RE300 and one RE650.

• The RE650 usually has no problem connecting to the router, as it is located in the same floor.

• The RE300 is locate in the attic, and it's hard for it to connect to the router (sometime it gets it, most times doesn't), so it is usually connected through the RE650 or one RE300 in the first floor. The performance drops but it is not a big deal because the attic requirements is very low, basically just smart phones.

• The RE200 is the problem. It is located in the first floor and I need it there because I need the Ethernet port for one device with no WiFi. When it connects directly to the router or even to the RE650 everything works fine, but sometimes, specially when I need to reboot the router or there was a power outage, as the RE300 in the attic turns on faster than the router, the RE200 of the first floor connects to the RE300 in the attic, and this will not work. I mean, it connects, you ping the router and it works ... but the performance is, expectably, terrible.

Some times even the RE650 in the ground floor connects to the attic's RE300 angry

When this happens I need to go shutting down all the RE and turning them on in a giver order to ensure they connect to the right AP. But it's annoying, specially after a power outage.

So, I wonder if there is any way to force the RE to connect to one (or maybe few) of the APs, but not to others. I tried using the access control using the fact that the RE changes the mac of the clients when connecting through them (the DHCP sees the client mac as <RE mac prefix>:<client mac suffix>), so I blocked the mac of the RE200 through the RE300, but I only got to block the L3 traffic, not the wireless connection, so no joy.

Any idea if this can be done and if so how?

Thanks a lot!

Options
Re:How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance
2022-11-11 09:33:16

I think you should have a more specific plan

Options
2022-11-11 09:36:02 - last edited 2022-11-11 09:40:00

@adora18 "a more specific plan"? can you elaborate what you mean with that?

The generic issue here is that having multiple RE *around* the router, placing the router in the center of an imaginary circle is great and easy, but it's quite often not realistic, and here starts the problem. The reality is that most of the times the RE will be at different distances (real distance or 'power' distance) and it can happen that for the RE1 other REx is closer than the router, so, how can we force the RE1 to connect to the router and not to any random REx?

Do you know how to have a more specific plan for that?

Thanks

Options