What if TP-Link Router Disconnects from Internet?

2021-07-19 10:52:28 - last edited 2023-10-30 03:22:44

This Article Applies to:

TP-Link Routers

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Some customers may find that the router keeps disconnecting from the internet/modem, the internet LED on the router changes to red/orange, and it will recover automatically after minutes. Manually powering off and then powering on the router can also get the connection back. This article aims to provide solutions to the issue.

Troubleshooting Suggestions:

1. Check and ensure the internet line or ISP modem is stable, bypassing the TP-Link router. Connect the PC directly to the ISP modem (or internet cable from the wall), test and monitor the internet connectivity, and ensure you have a stable connection.

2. If the modem internet is stable, please connect the router back to the network, and ensure the Ethernet cable going from the ISP modem to the WAN port of the router is securely connected. Try with another Cat5e/6 cable or change the port of your ISP modem, to where you're connecting the TP-Link router (if possible).

3. Check and ensure the router firmware is up-to-date.

4. Login to the router web interface when there is no internet, and check if there is still a WAN IP address on the Status page. If yes, go to Advanced > Network > Internet, change the DNS server as follows, then Save and reboot the router to confirm:

5. It's also suggested to clone the MAC address of the computer (or the MAC of the old router) to the TP-Link router if the internet is stable when the computer (or old router) is plugged into the ISP modem directly. Guidance is as follows:
How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Archer Router?

If the disconnect issue persists after checking all the above, it is suggested to comment below and be sure to provide the following information:

1. Model number, hardware, and firmware version of your TP-Link Router.

2. Who is your ISP? What's the model of the modem?

3. What is the WAN connection type on the TP-Link router?

4. What troubleshooting have you done, and what are the results? Send us the screenshots of the Network > Internet page. You can mask the WAN IP and gateway info for security concerns

Options
73 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Router Disconnects from Internet
2021-07-20 08:29:11

@Kevin_Z I'm running the latest beta on Archer C6 v2 EU since last 2.5months, and this issue appeared since few days ago, it wasnt there earlier.

PPPOE fiber connection, router is losing the IP config.

I just changed the ethernet cable from ONU to router, will see how it goes.

In the meantime is there any other latest beta available for C6 V2 EU?

Or should I try to switch to Openwrt?

Options
2021-07-20 09:30:20

@CheckYourScreen 

Will the internet LED change to orange when the internet drops? If that is the case, please provide the following information, we will proceed:

1. Who is your ISP? What's the model of the modem?

2. What is the WAN connection type on the TP-Link router?

3. Save and email the System Log on the router (System Tools > System Log). Don't reboot the router, if the internet doesn't recover automatically, please login to the router page, go to Advanced > Network > Internet, click on the Connect/Disconnect to recover the connection on the router.

Options
2021-07-24 20:34:53 - last edited 2021-07-25 21:48:43

@Kevin_Z 

my router is AX1500(EU) with the latest Firmware I think problem came from that 

(Firmware Version:1.2.0 Build 20210420) I dont think I can roll back the firmware.

I get that orange LED and lose the internet and comes back after few by itself it keeps do that all day tried the tips above with no good

I live in Bahrain can you still help me? 

thank you 

Options
2021-07-26 10:46:54

@MOOMO 

Sure. Check the email and confirm.

Options
2021-07-26 11:28:15
replayed to that email thank you
Options
2021-08-05 21:19:46

In my case I lose connectivity as soon as I open my computer and Windows 10 finishes the start-up sequence. I've notice that the computer's IP is Black listed in the Security settings. As soon as I remove it from the list it resumes internet connectivity.

Also in the Sysem log I see a "Warning [5230] udp flood attack" => looks like some service from my computer is trying to scan the network via UDP and as a result the firewall marks this as an attack.

I haven't yet identified which is the problematic software on my computer, I doubt it's a virus/malware though.

Options
2021-08-06 03:14:21

@KingRabbid 

Case is similar as tudorf40's, try to modify the security settings then:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/229424

Options
2021-08-07 16:04:44

@Kevin_Z  Nice. Working

Options
2021-08-12 12:08:01

@Kevin_Z I'm on the lowest settings possible, any suggestion?

Options
2021-08-16 07:46:26

@KingRabbid 

Generally, when the DoS protection is enabled on the router, it will monitor the traffics in the network and block those that are abnormal to protect your network security.

If changing the level to Low doesn't help, I'm afraid you need to disable the DoS Protection completely on the router. Our developer is reviewing the mechanism of the DoS Protection feature on the router, they probably find a way to improve it in the future.

Options