Votes

WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Votes

WAN/LAN auto-sensing

207 Reply
RE:WAN/LAN auto-sensing
2023-03-22 23:31:00
Fix the auto sensing or let the hardware works by itself without WAN or Internet.
Options
Re:WAN/LAN auto-sensing
2023-03-31 00:50:43 - last edited 2023-04-03 13:40:33

@TP-Link Because my Deco units will serve only as AP and I have my DHCP server separate, I assume this is not going to affect me Regardless I am browsing the forums to see all the non-sense you guys are spitting out, this one is pretty epic:

Why do we use WAN/LAN auto-sensing on Deco?
For the Deco Mesh system, normally it would have more than 2 units and each unit has at least 2 Ethernet ports; It would be time-consuming and confusing to find out which port should be connected to the ISP modem. And supposing that the WAN port is fixed, once this port is broken, the whole Mesh kit would be useless.

Seriously???

First, every other router on the market has fixed ports. This has and will always be the norm. Trying to re-invent the wheel helps no one. Second, if a port is broken, the unit is broken. You get it repaired or you replace it. Better yet, put the classic 1 WAN + 4 LAN. Seriously what is wrong with the product owner who made all these decisions???

Options
2023-03-31 07:05:03

@TP-Link It's been over a year since reporting, and this problem hit me again yesterday. My ISP had some downtime, and all my home network with many IoT devices and NAS went south - unable to use part of the lights (those behind WiFi relays), unable to access NAS - the whole network f*cked...

Can you declare if anything is happening with this topic (with some ETA), or do You just have Your clients in the back and won't fix it...

Options
2023-04-01 14:27:23
This defect must be fixed with a user selectable WAN port. Even then, if a port fails, you can redesignate the other as WAN and still use the mesh.
Options
2023-04-02 20:58:11

@TP-Link 

I have the same issue with TP-Link Deco AXE5300 Wi-Fi 6E Tri-Band Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System.  I kept on getting these odd occurances where we would loose internet for a brief period, the wifi would come back but the ethernet was down.  I would play around with the Deco and restart it a few times and it eventually came back.  Here lately it just stopped working.  After reading this article, I connected my ethernet to a satelite and converted my satelites to only wifi backhaul.  It worked as described.  I will see how well it goes but it is a huge bug.  I am going to look at other systems but not for sure what issues they will bring with them.

Options
2023-04-06 02:37:21

I discovered this clear, undisputable, absurd, completely unacceptable bug today and was absolutely disgusted to learn that it has existed for years and hasn't been fixed on the very same day that it was reported. As a matter of fact, it should never have existed at all. There are no circumstances under which this abortion of a "design" should have ever been considered by anyone with over 1 hour of experience in programming (speaking as someone with 3+ decades of experience in computer programming). The code cowboys who wrote and signed off on this "design" should be forever banned from ever coming close to a computer again, just as a drunk driver should not be let near a car, and for the same reasons. They deserve to be made an example of. This is the computer equivalent of medical malpractice with gross negligence.

And to think they had the gall to add a "Pro" suffix to this abortion of a negligently designed product that I own. I guess it's for professional Facebook/TikTok content consumers, or professional Netflix viewers, or professional WhatsApp message-typers. It's certainly not for an actual tech professional like myself, who has a network with dozens of devices I remotely access all day long (I literally always have one or more connections to one of the other devices in my network open). If my internet happens to go down, the "Pro" TP-Link router forbids me to do my professional duties. What a load of [redacted]. This is a joke, a disgusting joke. Any product afflicted with this awful joke for a "design" is just a toy for lay users. Anyone who works in tech should stay very very far away from this line of toy products.

I don't care if this is fixed tomorrow, I am never, never, never, NEVER again touching another TP-Link product. I don't care if the competition supposedly loses out on features/performance and costs 10x more. It's just not worth the risk. I will also make sure to tell everyone that will listen about how TP-Link is the most incompetent company I've ever had the displeasure of coming across, and that you should under no circumstances buy any products from them. And of course, when someone comes to me asking for recommendations for network gear (and trust me, I get asked very often), I will make sure to emphasize, in no uncertain terms, that they should not under any circumstances buy a TP-Link product. From now on, my volunteer work will be ensuring that everybody I know avoids TP-Link like the plague, and I will not rest until TP-Link goes bankrupt. And to stress: I don't care if this bug is fixed tomorrow, the mere fact that it ever existed, let alone stayed unfixed for years, means TP-Link became radioactive for me.

Options
2023-04-06 02:37:36
#
Options
2023-04-06 02:42:34
This needs to be fixed
Options
2023-04-07 11:47:05
This is absurd. The wired network not working If no internet. Fix this asap!
Options
2023-04-12 12:22:00

Once again I find myself without an internet connection, and unable to perform ANY work, because all my work today depends on accessing a headless remote machine within my internal network.

I just decided to consider suing TP-Link for lost wages. Since this "feature" is not mentioned anywhere in marketing materials or the manual, and EVERY OTHER ROUTER IN THE WORLD that's not a TP-Link works correctly (i.e. does not have this egregious bug masqueraded as a "feature"), it should be an easy win. I guess that, since I can't work while the internet is down, I'll use my idle time to call a lawyer and ask about the feasibility of suing TP-Link.

Options

Voters 109

+ 105 Voters